Question in regards to difficulty

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Question in regards to difficulty

Eagle666
Recruit

Post by Eagle666 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi,

first of all thank you very much for this great mod, I really love it.

I am stuck at Battle 2 mission 4. The Headhunters are just killing the TRN. It doesnt matter how fast I shot them down, somehow either the ES are killing one of the TRN or the Z95 are doing it. Even one Z95 is suficcient to kill the TRN. Playning on medium

The allied crafts seem to have a hard time hitting the enemy and allied ships are very easy to be killed by them in return.

Just want to know if I did something wrong during the installation or if it is supposed to be that hard.

Thanks Eagle

EDIT: Just tried the same mission with easy difficulty and it was a breeze. No issue at all with the mission. On medium I stand no chance. Difficulty spike seems to be pretty high.

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Are you sure you're talking about the right mission? B2M4 is the raid on the prototype production facility, where you're in an X-Wing.

In general though I think a lot of people have reported an increase in the difficulty with this mod. Whether that's tweaks to ship values, mission balancing, additional turrets on certain ships or I believe someone even suggested that faster computers have something to do with making the AI tougher.

I'm playing through the game again myself at the moment and have found several missions very challenging. My biggest issue is losing all my wing-mates fairly early which means I have a dozen TIEs all hounding me lol. Oh well, at least it's a good challenge!

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:09 am

remember the old good TF of 1995 was a very hard game. On XWA he gets all the CPU power and RAM to roast you well. It require as such, training and exercise.
It is not an arcade game, nor a consolle game. But it deserve the pain.
^^ happy flying.

Eagle666
Recruit

Post by Eagle666 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Ok, good to know, so it is supposed to be that Hard. Just wanted to know if I might have missed certain settings ;)

Luckily they offer some options to manage those kind of missions like Lowering difficulty and worst case even the invulnerability mode...

Kramah313
Recruit

Post by Kramah313 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 pm

I’ve been playing on hard and it’s been really fun. I’m still in the first battle, but I’ve found I have to think about how to complete some of them. In the battle to save platform D-34 at first I didn’t get the Y-wings and bombers fast enough and they were doing too much damage, so I had to go after them harder. But then the Z-95s killed all my wingmen and left alone I would just die. So I had to strike a balance between letting the platform defend itself a bit and helping my wingmen more. That was very cool to me.

Similarly after that when you’re attacking a convoy in a TIE bomber I was getting shot down easily by shuttles (embarrassing), so I actually flew in formation with my wingmen and launched my torpedoes when he did (I’m not good enough at dumb firing to hit most ships that far out) so that the swarm of torpedoes helped get enough through the ships guns trying to shoot them down. Staying with them also helped all the enemies not focus on only me and I completed the mission more easily.

Basically sometimes I have to use different tactics and I honestly find that fun.