Possible to install using only the original voice overs?

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Possible to install using only the original voice overs?

joatrash
Recruit

Post by joatrash » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 am

First off I will state, as a games industry veteran of 20 years (and someone who bought the originals when they came out in the 90s), that this is a tremendous effort which I am very much looking forward to playing during my vacation! I've been a regular (non-registered) lurker here for longer than I can remember.

But I was wondering, and please understand I mean no disrespect, if it's possible to install the mod and keep only the 'old' original VO. Or are there too many differences in the configuration of VO lines in the XWA engine that made it necessary to swap out all the old lines and/or add new ones?

The reason I ask is that the old VO is very 'engrained' into my memory, more so than even the music, that I would like to relive those old lines with all the other updates.

Again, coming from an industry vet- congratulations on this awesome achievement!

//J

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Once you've installed TFTC, you can go into the Palpatine Total Converter and choose "Load a Total Conversion" followed by "Switch to the Dark Side (TFTC Classic)".

You'll be playing through the classic versions of the missions, with the classic voice-actors.

I don't know a way to play with the Reimagined missions and the old voices though... unless you can just copy the classic sound-files into the reimagined version?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi @joatrash, as @Calmputer stated, there are two versions of TFTC which are Classic and Reimagined.

The Classic version is just that, all the original missions, all the old original voiceovers, dialogue, story beats and whatnot

Reimagined is an expanded version of the original TIE Fighter with all new voiceovers, dialogue, bigger battles etc. Because we had to do some significant story and dialogue alterations, it was felt the best thing to do - short of rehiring all the original voice actors which is not possible or affordable - was to simply revoice it all. So unfortunately you cannot use the classic voiceovers in Reimagined.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:07 pm

Many of the original cast have had a very solid career
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/vi ... E-Fighter/

joatrash
Recruit

Post by joatrash » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:06 am

Ah, thanks for the answers everyone! So I guess I'll start with the classic to relive the old, then have a look at the reimagined stuff afterward. Awesome.

Heh... I've actually worked with quite a few voice actors in my day- none of the cast of Tie Fighter, but a couple in Alliance and KOTOR. :)