Re-Release: Venator Star Destroyer & Praetorian Carrier

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

Re-Release: Venator Star Destroyer & Praetorian Carrier

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:48 pm

Taking a very small break from working on XWAU stuff (already back on it as I write this), I finally got to update some more of my older OPTs. Here's the first batch of what is to come.

Venator-class Star Destroyer v1.3
VenatorStarDestroyer_Screen1.jpg
Dating back to 2005 this one was overdue for an update. While I haven't remade the model itself, I have cleaned a lot of excess faces and undone the tri-faces that were all the rage back then. Turns out quad faces are way better for performance ....

Apart from that I've updated all the textures, adding more details to some, completely overhauling others - all HD, of course. I have also extract all the FG color variations. The base model is now regular gray with all the markings being converted to skins. to mix and match. This version comes with 3 marking variations
- Open Circle
- Republic Command
- Rebel Alliance
As well as a weathered & Rusty hull skin

Finally I have replaced the old turrets with new meshes that are closer to the ones from the movies.

Praetorian-class Carrier v1.1
PraetorianCarrier_Screen2.jpg
Like the Venator this one has undergone a model cleanup, texture HD overhaul complete and new turrets. I have also made some adjustment to the placement of windows, as the previous version sported a lot of those, placed along very thin edges which just was too excessive. With the new version I have reduced the amount of windows and removed the most egregious violations of physics.

I have also removed the FG colors from the base models and converted into skins. In addition I have redesigned the looks of the Red Star markings to look more meaningful.

Lastly I have added a very distinctive model profile depicting the armed freighter from which the Praetorian was derived. Like the skins, this model profile can be used in custom missions with the help of the mission objects hook. See the hook's readme for details and instructions.

You can get both models, more details and screenshots at your local X-Wing HQ

That's all, now go out there and have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:35 pm

Great work :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:08 pm

Beautiful!