Is it possible to do this?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Is it possible to do this?

wawacat69
Recruit

Post by wawacat69 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 pm

CONTEXT: Can't download all of XWAU, lag, etc... soo...
Does anyone know if it is possible to copy and paste the original files (Example: From steam, copy [/common/Star Wars X-Wing Alliance/]) to another folder, Download XWAU (which is going to be sent to the common files of steam), copy certain starfighters/capital ships/etc from the common folder, then paste them in the unmodded folder, so it's normal XWA but with some XWAU files?
Thank you so much!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:14 pm

It depends on how many files you want to copy. If you just want to copy the OPTs, then I don't think it will work.

The XWAU OPTs tend to use a lot more meshes, vertices and texture sizes than the original XWA supported, so you need to copy the hooks as well to support these OPTs or you'll crash the game. Once you do that, you'll need the hooks.ini files as well and maybe some other dependencies, so you might end up copying a lot more files.

It is possible, in principle, to copy a subset of XWAU on top of regular XWA and make it work. There's people who have made their own customized versions of XWA, so it is doable; just be aware that you might end up needing to copy several files and maybe even applying custom patches to the game itself. It all depends on what you want to do.

To me, it sounds like you want to download XWAU but can't, due to network problems; but you're not trying to make your own customized version of XWA. I don't know if there are any downloaders that let you pause and resume a download so that you can maybe get the file even if your connection is broken frequently.