Convert Sketchup Models to XWA Format for Gameplay

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Convert Sketchup Models to XWA Format for Gameplay

MikeG_65
Recruit

Post by MikeG_65 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:53 pm

Hello Folks,

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I would like to know how to convert some Sketchup models into XWA, from what I read you have to convert the models from .skp to .dxf, and then import them into .opt format.

As I am trying to create some BSG models from the original series, and advice, help would be appreciated.

1. Can you please direct me to the right app to bring these models in .opt format
2. Which programs will I need to add hard points, etc..., to the model in order for them to play correctly.
3. Can someone please explain size limits to me, do I need to hallow out the models for size, etc...

Cheers mates!

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:21 pm

@Bman can advise on Sketchfab.
Once you have the model in a proper format you will need XWA OPT Editor or OPTech to prepare thr Opt for the game by defining Hitzones, adding Hardpoints etc.
- OPT Editor is more suited if you conver pre-existing models in obj format.
- OPTech is more suitable when you create have a model in dxf and have yet to add texture mapping.
Both programs along with numerous other useful tools can be obtained via XWA Tools Downloader

For the numerous limits see This Thread in our Guides section.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 am

I'm not too familiar with SketchUp website. But at SketchFab depending on the various file formats the model authors provide, you can download load them and open in whatever native 3d program you have. Blender seems to be one of better all inclusive file format import/exporter. Ultimately you want to convert or export the model (after maybe reducing high poly counts / all mesh faces must be either Tri or preferably Quad vertices) into .obj format with a valid .mtl (material) file which lists how and which textures are mapped to the model. Then you can import.obj with texture files into XwaOptEditor, save as a game .opt file format. Then you can export to .opz or .obj again if you need to fine tune meshes or split and do other editing as Vince wrote above. Sometimes a downloaded model from the website maybe missing a .mtl file which is crucial, or textures themselves. Can't remember if MS 3D Builder can reconstruct it, I thnk it can as a work around...then export. Best bet is to try each download file format and see which works best. I ended up downloading a .glTF or .GLB or .Ply file format and imported into Blender first.
Last edited by Bman on Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.