Customizable HUD colors

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Customizable HUD colors

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Hello. This is actually something I introduced a while ago. It is now possible to customize the color of the HUD so you no longer are limited to the four options we have in the Video Options menu. The HUD color is specified on a per-craft basis. Just add the following to any .ini file:

Code: Select all

[HUDColor]
HUDBorderColor = R, G, B
HUDInnerColor = R, G, B
Where R, G and B are the red, green and blue components of the color in the 0..1 range. For instance, adding the following to Xwing.ini:

Code: Select all

[HUDColor]
HUDBorderColor = 1.0, 0.8, 0.8
HUDInnerColor = 0.56, 0.40, 0.46
Produces the following results:

pink-hud-1.jpg
pink-hud-2.jpg

Also note how the color of the HUD is used in any holographics display that may be present in the Dynamic Cockpit.

To revert the to the regular HUD color, just remove or comment out the [HUDColor] section in the .ini file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 am

Great work Max! Another cool feature if people want to use it. :)
I won't be making mine hot pink though lol :D
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Awesome! However I noticed with the custom HUD colours, if you restart a mission inflight (H) it reverts to the default stock HUD colour. If you restart from the mission select screen, its fine.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:17 am

I think this has been fixed. (?) See downloads page for the newest November 07, 2021 beta ddraw release.
Hi @blue_max I haven't tested this yet but if we set HUDInnerColor = R, G, B to 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 does that result in pure black or allows transparency ?
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Bman's right: the latest ddraw from Nov 7 has a fix for this problem. It's not a perfect fix. If you really pay attention, you'll still see the game flash the original HUD color for 1 frame before applying the patch, but it otherwise works fine!
Bman wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:17 am
Hi @blue_max I haven't tested this yet but if we set HUDInnerColor = R, G, B to 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 does that result in pure black or allows transparency ?
That's going to be black with transparency. So it will actually look dark gray over most surfaces, I expect.