[MOD] "Sleek" Millenium Falcon and YT-1300 Model

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

[MOD] "Sleek" Millenium Falcon and YT-1300 Model

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:34 am

Hello there,

For those who, like me, are not fan of the 'fat-ish' Revell exterior model of the Millenium Falcon and its less deadly sibling, the YT-1300, this mod is for you.

You can download both models and drop them into the following folder agreeing to overwrite both files:

C:\Games\star wars - x-wing alliance\FlightModels

Their names are: MillenniumFalcon2.opt and CORELLIANTRANSPORT2

There are some screenshots in attachment.

Enjoy.

You can download the zip file here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u9eqwajw ... n.zip/file

Oh, before I forget: Credit for the model goes to the original author, Master Qui-Gon; I just used OPtech 2 to 'squash' the models a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by d3rt13n on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darkblue
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Darkblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi,

I like this, but I have downloaded it and copied to FlightModels (done a backup of the existing files), but in-game I still see the same models as always. Maybe it is me, but are you sure that the opts in the linked file are not the "normal/fat" ones?

Thanks!

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:38 pm

If you load up both files, the ones you backed up and mine into OPtech 2.0 you will see it immediately.

Here are some screens from the loaded opts in optech 2, the tool you can also download from the downloads section of this website using the XwaToolsDownloader.

Use this model one only when playing the TFTC as a pilot for the empire or flying the rebel craft, since it is meant for AI use only. There is no cockpit on the ones I put up.

imghost

Also as a reference some movie stills that show a sleek falcon.

Hope this helps.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 pm

To anyone who is familiar with creating OPTS

There is a small bug that I cannot seem to get rid of which did not present itself in Xwing VS Tie Fighter, the game I created this opt for. The texture and mesh of the torpedo launcher where the escape capsule used to bee rotates at random. I have tried to remove this rotation, but I don't know how to accomplish this.
Since it is deep between the two mandibles it is not really very disturbing or visible that well.

If anyone here who is more knowledgeable about OpTech and opts in general could help me out to solve this problem or any other issues this opt might have, I would be very grateful.
Thank you.

Darkblue
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Darkblue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks! I think that it was because I only tested it as player craft... I'll check in AI players.

Tx.

Rebelyell
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Rebelyell » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:22 am

Is this opt still available somewhere?

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 am

Any youtube video about this model ? I' am curious to see this ship from inside.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:34 pm

Okay, sorry I don't visit often.

Yes I can put the model up here for download again

Code: Select all

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u9eqwajw3cu3p0i/MOD_YT-1300_and_MilleniumFalcon.zip/file

6 files in the zip file

- 2 folders with 3 OPT files with the correct name for X-Wing Alliance. Drop these files in your XWAUP/FlightModels folder and overwrite (making a backup of the existing files if needed)

This will replace both the player and the AI model of the YT-1300 freighter and give you a chance to fly the Milennium Falcon round dish version (old movies) in single player.

Either choose option 1) the YT-1300 or option 2) the Millenium Falcon option and startup the single player simulator. The default (Revell) Falcon is still ingame and will be flyable at the end of the campaign, as I could not seem to swap out the model, since it has a config file that changes the pilots and the dish, and mine crashes the game to desktop.

So as a workaround, if you want to fly the sleek falcon with the dish and the extra guns, just move the files from the Millenium Falcon in this zip file to the FlightModels folder. It will thus overwrite the original YT-1300 and you will fly the Falcon through the whole game.

The AI model YT-1300 will always be a stock YT.

CORELLIANTRANSPORT2-C.opt is the AI version. It is a sleek YT-1300.

e.g. E:\GOG\star wars - x-wing alliance\FlightModels

The cockpit is functional on both craft. The Falcon and the regular YT-1300.

Enjoy.

If the modding community want to adopt this opt and opz and make ammendments to it or add it to the ship collection... please do.

P.S This mediafire link should not expire
P.S.2 The bug mentioned above with the rotating parts of the mesh was resolved.
Last edited by d3rt13n on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:51 pm

Did this model come from SketchFab or another website ? If so, you should include a note to credit who the original author was. It's typically a C.C. license.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:02 pm

No,

This model was originally created by the team here of XWAUP. I moved the vertices one by one (yes a tedious task) in optech 2 to sleek it down, as mentioned in an original post up here.

The original author I do not know who it is, this file has been on my drive for more than 2 years and I don't visit often here. The original person who created the OPT here for XWAUP more that two years ago merits the credit for the model. If you have a name, I would be glad to include it here in a readme file, as I am not someone who wishes to take credit for others work.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:25 pm

Not sure, it would be on "Progress" page link on the left. I see. Those pics you posted above are lot more detailed than current .opt models. There are some HD models on SketchFab and other sites. I think the Mil. Fal. et al are being or will be updated in future by XWAUG team.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:36 pm

Yes as you can see and will be able to judge from the download, the cockpit of 'my' version has 'black' windows, unlike the one that is featured here where you can see the different pilots for the Falcon and choose which dish you would like installed. This is built on an older version of the falcon here if my memory serves me right.

Someone who masters 3D better than I do, can probably use this model to upgrade it to a sleek version of both ships and add it to the collection with the different pilots and radar dishes.

I leave it all in the capable hands of the devs here. I just wanted to share my version with players here, since I really hate the REVELL version, and that version seems to have become the norm everywhere, except for those more expensive 3D resin models of the Falcon that are faithful to the original movies and IMHO much better looking 'sleek' version.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:23 am

Ummm...Those are my opts and no I am not and will not do the sleek version.
Your focus determines your reality.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:12 am

Hope this model will be merged in the installer.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 am

marcop000 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:12 am
I am afraid this will most likely be a no.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:20 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 am
marcop000 wrote:
You got it Force

IMHO the SLEEK version is just camera eye tricks and the film from the 80's. I think its fugly looking anyhow.

When I finish the new CORT you can kit-bash it if you want. I've noticed there are a lot of ranging opinions on this.

A taste for the crowd...Sabra

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NE1D5F ... share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fGPA__ ... share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19gjHu3 ... share_link
Last edited by Master Qui-Gon on Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:10 pm

Oh nice one :thumbs:
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:06 am

Master Qui-Gon wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:20 pm
Forceflow wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 am
marcop000 wrote:
You got it Force

IMHO the SLEEK version is just camera eye tricks and the film from the 80's. I think its fugly looking anyhow.

When I finish the new CORT you can kit-bash it if you want. I've noticed there are a lot of ranging opinions on this.

A taste for the crowd...Sabra

Well, it's clear that some people like it, others like yourself don't. Fortunately we don't have the same tastes, that goes for starships, cars, and women just to name a few. The world would be a very boring and belligerent place were that to be so.

From a viewpoint of time invested into making a 3D model, you want to go for something that you like to see in-game yourself because making a 3D model, heck even modifying a purchased one to have it working properly as an OPT, takes time and dedication.

I understand you perfectly in that respect and I equally wouldn't want to make the 'FAT' version were I in your shoes since we share the same opinion but prefer different models. I wouldn't mind if someone kitbashed my design and REVELLE'd it up, and dropped it online for download, just to accommodate like minded souls.

Anyways, I would like to express my gratitude that you allow it here, for the oddballs that do like the 'Fugly Falcon' as you referred to it.

I am however going to take this download link down and replace it with the exact same version as this one here (if that is okay with you), but with your credentials in a readme file, since I now know who made the original OPT. I think that is the least I can do to give you proper credit. I will also not put this up for download anywhere else. That is also the reason I posted it here, and here alone. If you would like this removed, please let me know also.

And... Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder:

here's a better shot of the miss sleekness

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/818 ... L1500_.jpg

and here is the one that I used to have on my desk, before it was lost in a crash

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91U ... _QL80_.jpg

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 am

d3rt13n wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:06 am
I am however going to take this download link down and replace it with the exact same version as this one here (if that is okay with you), but with your credentials in a readme file, since I now know who made the original OPT. I think that is the least I can do to give you proper credit. I will also not put this up for download anywhere else. That is also the reason I posted it here, and here alone. If you would like this removed, please let me know also.

And... Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder:

here's a better shot of the miss sleekness

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/818 ... L1500_.jpg

and here is the one that I used to have on my desk, before it was lost in a crash

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91U ... _QL80_.jpg
The second one looks Ok. My current model is 9.2 meters high. If I reduce it by 3 meters I get that look.

Never say never...
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Quote

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:20 am

Master Qui-Gon wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 am

The second one looks Ok. My current model is 9.2 meters high. If I reduce it by 3 meters I get that look.

Never say never...
The issue is that it's only the elongated sides that get squashed, not the docking ports and the rest... which seem to keep the same dimentions. I do agree with you that in the films, the consistency to use the sleek version was kept, but they used different models, judging by the conical shape of the docking ports on one (Lando and Solo) and not on the other (on Tatooine) , as can be seen on both images up here from the movies.

The most beautiful one I could find in 3D at the moment and which has an attribution license is this one:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/milleni ... 1902d26839

and this one

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/millenn ... 82b4cb1f16

The first one is based on the second one.

It has a whole lot of greebles to it, and even without the greebles it takes a while to load in OPTech 2.

I have removed the old link and here is the new one:

I could not open the new 'sabra' image you put online earlier. I got a 403 denied. Would have been cool to see it.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:20 pm

I reedited post above to link to a couple of shots of the Sabra.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:47 pm

interesting thruster; saw something similar here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/milleni ... e1ecfb8ea6

Thanks for sharing :-)

Talaris
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Talaris » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:06 am

For a bit of history regarding the difference in model dimensions:

MPC/Ertl (now AMT) tooled the first commercially available Falcon back in 1979, based on the only model at the time, the 5ft A New Hope version. Though decent for its time, compared to the ILM model, the sidewalls were too high, dish too large, and other discrepancies in kit-bash detail. In the late 2000s Revell, who now had the license, decided to make their own model. But instead of starting from scratch and re-measuring the ILM model (or the FineMolds 32” ESB derived model), they used the MPC dimensions for the shape and sidewalls, but with a slightly smaller saucer radius. Hence why the Revell model became the least accurate, when compared to its rivals in Japan. Much later came Bandai, who with the latest model scanning and tooling technology made the most movie accurate commercially available Falcon model kit to date.

d3rt13n
Cadet 4th Class

Post by d3rt13n » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:05 am

Thanks for that :-)

Yes, the Bandai model is a work of art and comes with a hefty price tag.

https://www.revell.de/out/pictures/mast ... 04(12).jpg

The relationship between the French comic series 'Valerian and Laurline' and Star Wars is also a very interesting one...

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... nspiration

Erd
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Erd » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:46 am

Just a heads up since you are altering the Sabra, both the Sabra and the Selu appear in the opening cutscene if that consistency matters.