Poll: Installer options

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

Which type of Sound Upgrade installer would you prefer?

1: Automatic. The installer places everything in the right folders. Backing up existing files for you:
100%
2: Manual install. Extract to a new folder, then you copy and paste files as you please:
No votes

Total votes: 16

Poll: Installer options

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:18 am

Hey guys I need some help and opinions. I've made a quick poll to get some ideas from you guys. :)
I'm in the process of creating a new Sound Upgrade and I know a lot of people have already customised some of the game sound effects already.

There's a lot of files going to be included. Many XWAU users are advanced users and know what they are doing but some like a simple life. :D
So I'm looking to get ideas of the best way to install the new files into the game. So would you prefer that:

1: The Installer does all the work for you automatically.
This means the installer will extract the new Sounds and places everything to the right game folders in 1 easy motion.
It will automatically Backup any files in those locations with the same names to the Backup folder. So you can easily restore old files you prefer to the new ones.

2: Manual install. The files are placed in a new sub folder in the XWA directory and you pick and choose what to use.
This would extract all the files into a brand a new folder but with the correct location folder names too.
So you will know the game location and then you listen to the new files and choose which to copy and paste over the originals as you please.
It means you can easily compare the new files to any you already have but it will mean a lot of back and forth playing each new sound and then the old version. Also some files will sound a little odd out of context of where they appear in game.

So please click on the poll and give me an idea of which you prefer as it will help me out.
Thanks for your help Pilots!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:59 am

Why not both?
If you look at contemporary installers for any kind of software you are usually giventwo Options: Default and Custom. Default is basically your Option 1, installing everything in the default folder, while Custom lets you customize the destination folder.

If that weren't possible, I'd say Option 1: Since the original files would be backed up anyway, users who had customized their sounds already can still do their individual customization afterwards.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:04 pm

It is something I'm considering. The files would have to be duplicated.
It would mean something like a 200mb installer roughly. That's not too bad for things these days I suppose.
Just seems a very large add on file. My brain is still stuck 20 years ago when it took forever to download large mods lol :D
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 pm

In some parts of the world (*cough*hello*cough*), it still takes forever to download large mods :P
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue May 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:04 pm
It is something I'm considering. The files would have to be duplicated.
... why?

I know different installers are different but that just seems silly :P

if your using Jeremys software can he not add (if he hasnt already) the ability to put a destination file in the desired destination based on option?

Trev