XWAU 2020 Mega Patch Update 4

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAU 2020 Mega Patch Update 4

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:39 pm

XWAU_2020_MP4_news.png
It's here folks, another update pack with awesome new goodies! As always it's packed with bugfixes, mission fixes and overall smaller tweaks and changes. Be sure to read the readme for a full list. But there are certainly some highlights that we want to point out:

TIE Bomber
The empire rejoices with this totally new version of the TIE Bomber created by DTM.
It comes with a new Dynamic Cockpit, HD textures and a fully detailed Exterior with modeled pilot as well as different Profiles and Skins for the optional TIE Shuttle and First Order versions!

XQ4 Platform
Vince T has done it again and completed another of the Platform series for us to use. It comes with animated lights on the landing platforms indicating the Hangar pad to use and new Hangar that can be landing in for custom missions with unique maps for each faction. Only one more of the XQ series left to go, which makes me extra happy!

Lambda Shuttle
Another great rework by DTM. The new version comes with a working drop down entry ramp which works with the landing gear, a Cockpit, HD textures and a fully detailed Exterior with modeled pilots. It comes in two cockpit flavors for either Rebel or Imperial Officers. It's an absolutely stunning from the ground up rebuilt of the shuttle.

Hyperbuoy
It might be small, but it's featured in pretty much every mission! Blue Max has created a brand new Hyperbuoy Opt design to jump to Hyperspace from and it's a treat for sure!

Other Updates
In addition to the new models there are plenty of tweaks done to existing ships. Asteroids, Asteroid Laser Battery, Imperial Research Center, Pirate Shipyard and Probe Capsule have gotten improved. Some received new textures, proper LODs and there's a small animated gem hidden inside a research station that is worth checking out. Freighter Container K, Repair Yard, Shipyard and Twin Suns Repair Yard all have new extra profiles to make them into different Stations or unique ships to be used in custom missions and the Babu Frik’s Configurator got another update as well. Biggest change here is that you can now switch XWA back to custom languages. (Please do be aware that the language files are not compatible with new custom modifications, such as new Opt models added to the game)

Again, please read the readme for a full list of changes and tweaks.
Many thanks from my end to all the guys working hard to bring you this latest update. There's still a lot that is currently being worked on though with the summer now in full gear I don't expect to have another update ready from us until much later into the year. (Though fingers crossed this could be a big one...) I hope you enjoy the new models as much as we do and let us know what you think of them!

P.S. This is not the big thing that might, or might not, be coming soon™
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Here are the full Readme release notes for Update 4.
I was hoping to bring you some XWAU sound improvements but sadly time was against me for this release. So these will be added at a later date.
Please have a good read of the new changes etc. Especially the Babu Frik section as the program has had an overhaul.

There will be additional pictures of the new releases in other topics, so check those out too.
Please check out the great screenshots Forceflow has put in the Showcase section too.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/index.php?action=screenshots

Please backup any Pilot saves, custom configuration files or changes that you have custom edited before installing this Update. We are not responsible for lost game progress.

New Releases
As mentioned above: TIE Bomber v6.0, Lambda Shuttle v6.0, XQ4 Platform v1.0, Hyperbuoy v1.0

New Updated Versions
As mentioned above: Asteroids, Asteroid Laser Battery, Imperial Research Center, Pirate Shipyard and Probe Capsule by Blue Max:
Please see the individual readme files for the full details here: Readme\XWAU Crafts\

New Object Profiles: As mentioned above there are now several new Object Profiles for craft that can be used to give more mission variety.
You can see pictures of these in a new folder: Flightmodels\Profiles
Please see the individual readme files for the full details here: Readme\XWAU Crafts\

Babu Frik’s Configurator: Babu has had some updates. Now you can choose your game language! This installs a new fixed copy of the XWA.tab file to the main directory. It also updates the S-foils.cfg file with the selected language too.
The languages supported are: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. You can change them at any time.
The language files are not compatible with new custom modifications, such as new Opt models added to the game.
The Customize the Graphic Resolutions section has been updated. Now you can also Set Cutscene Video Resolution from the installer. That means you can 4:3 Aspect Ratio or if using new HD videos set them to fill the screen.
Also the options to use Joystick emulation with a mouse have been added to the Babu selection.

Starship choices: There have been some big changes to Babu Frik’s Configurator so please read the information below.
Many optional choices have been removed. We removed the alternate options for the X-wing or Y-wing. If you are using these versions they can still be used, but you are no longer able to select them in Babu Frik and will be removed at a later point in time completely. You can use Babu Frik to switch to Spyders version still but you won’t be able to switch back.
Other changes are the different options for the TIE Defender, Corellian Gunship, Shuttle and Lasers have been removed.

You can see pictures and videos of the XWA Upgrade releases in the Showcase section on our website.

Updates

Please backup any configurations files or changes that you have custom edited before installing this Update, as this release could reset them to defaults. This release has many changes to Effects, Flightmodel INI, Dynamic Cockpits and Material files.

Config File – The XWAU installer will now automatically change the Config.CFG file to enable Use 3D Hardware, Hardware MIP Mapping, 32 Channels sound and High Quality Sound. This is to avoid known crashing issues.

Assault
Transport – It has had the 4 main docking Hardpoints added to it.

Asteroids HR1-6 – Blue Max has added LOD versions to the Asteroids to help with busy space battle frame rates.

Asteroid Laser Battery – The Laser turret has been updated by Blue Max for one created by Warb Null.

Effects – All the latest Effects and VR Beta files by Blue Max have been added.

FlightModels INI – Ace Antilles has updated even more of the INI files coding for opt models used in the game.
Added are extra codes or descriptions for what each line does. This can help to understand or modify them for custom use
IMPORTANT! Backup all files before editing these features. A wrong edit can break the ship or crash the game!
The descriptions have ; before them which means the game won’t read them or interfere with its action. Not every line can have a description on it though. We recommend you don’t alter most lines but hopefully it can help custom builders.
Please see the Hooks readme file for the full details on the commands here: Readme\Hooks\Hooks_Readme.txt

Freighter Container C – Ace Antilles added all the missing illumination. Also added docking points.

Freighter Container H – Ace Antilles removed some illumination that was causing shading issues.

Freighter Container K – Forceflow and Ace Antilles updated the Profiles with multiple choices. Forceflow added new meshes so now it carries multiple different Cargo Containers. Also added some docking points.

Hooks - The latest Hooks by Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) as of the date of this release.
Note: The Hook files are only overwritten if the existing file is older than the new file, otherwise installation is skipped.

Hyperbuoy – Blue Max has created a brand new Hyperbuoy opt to use.

Imperial Research Center – The Energy Reactor textures have been animated and updated by Blue Max.

Map Icons List – Fixed some missing map icons reference data.

MODS Folder – A folder that is used by some websites for custom add on downloads to store useful data such as Readme files.
Added several URL shortcut links to various X-Wing Alliance mod websites.

Marauder Corvette - Changed to Yellow lasers as per XWAU settings. Created a Readme File.

Pilot Proving Ground – Blue Max updated his Ddraw to hide the animations in the cockpit MFD while in the Hangar.
They were blocking the various pilot scoreboards from being shown.

Platform 3 – The animated textures have been updated into one overall Platform.Dat

Pirate Asteroid Base – Blue Max updated the rock textures to 4k to improve the look in places.
Ace Antilles added an Object Profile. This hides all the buildings leaving the Asteroid with its hangar only.
Also added landing lights and a hatch look to the Docking Platform at the top of the Base.

Probe Capsule – The textures have been updated by Blue Max. The older original ones have been replaced.

Repair Yard – Ace Antilles added a DockToSmall HP and made the antenna dish a destroyable Comm System.
Also added an Object Profile. This hides all the Docking Claws, creating a Repair Outpost variation.

Shipyard – Ace Antilles moved the mesh order around so the Shield Generators are next to each other.
Also added new Object Profiles. These hide the hangar structures to create 2 variations to use.

Stormtrooper Transport – It has had the 4 main docking Hardpoints added to it. Also, the INI file has had a Reticle added.

Twin Suns Repair Yard (Family) – Ace Antilles added some missing illumination areas.
Also added new Object Profiles. These hide the hangar structures to create 3 variations to use.

Trash Compactor Clean-up – As we add many new files or correct others it can lead to a lot of obsolete game files.
The installer now goes through and deletes those files that we setup. They will be added to the Backup directory if needed.
There is now an extra Babu Frik cleanup process to delete any files related to the recent changes.

Bug Fixes

X-Wing – The left Radar was reversed. An old bug that crept back into Update 3. This is fixed again.

Mission changes

Please backup any configurations files or changes that you have custom edited before installing this Update, as this release will overwrite them with new versions.
This or previous releases have many changes to Mission INI files and the Mission TIE files.

A massive thank you to Blazingfirestorm for finding many small bugs in missions and helping correct them.

B0M4 - Fixed some condition errors and triggers. Changed message colours.
B1M6 - Reduced the CTRNS AI level down to Officer from Ace.
B4M1 - Fixed Freighters Juno crashing into each other when they arrive in Region 4. Added Shipyard Profiles.
B5M1 – Moved Liberty start position so that you aren’t over the wing.
Shuttle – Added Imperial Object Profile to multiple Shuttle missions.

Important Information

Please make sure you play the game by opening Alliance.exe. A desktop shortcut will be made during installation.
Do NOT use open Steam, GoG or other shortcuts. Make sure they are closed during play or it will affect the XWAU files.

The first thing you should do is run Babu Frik's Configurator from the Launcher menu. In that you can setup your graphics and VR options to improve things as you wish. Don't forget to read our Beginners Guide for help too.

Make sure 3D Hardware and MIP Mapping is turned ON in the Video options, Hardware section. This prevents crashes.
Be aware that some people report issues with high refresh rates on monitors. Changing it to 60hz can help fix that.

Open Joystick Configurator from the Launcher to setup your Joystick options.
A few people have been experiencing some issues with joysticks and controllers. With so many modern Joysticks etc and any old game it's tricky. With the Mega Patch release more people are trying our new system so we may find a few small bugs. This isn't like Squadrons so don't expect XWA to accept all the latest gear in one click but it's better than before.
If you have any issues then read and post in this topic for help.

XWA CD Version: If you are still using the old CDs for XWA it is getting harder to support that system. We do recommend you upgrade to a digital version such as sold by GoG.com etc. They can be very cheap in sales.
Sound Issues: If you find you are missing some mission sounds then you need to copy the WAVE folder from both CDs to the XWA main folder. If asked to replace any files then select not to do that. The sounds will then run from your PC.

May the Force be With You!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Good work to all involved people :applaus: :2thumbs:

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:21 pm

This project it becomes more and more interesting. All news are always very useful.

FFM-IGEL
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FFM-IGEL » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:36 pm

Hello all,

that was amazing.
Once again you guys have done a damn great job. I can only bow down to you for your creativity and commitment.
Please continue, but first enjoy this great success. Take a rest, you have absolutely earned it.

Best regards from Frankfurt
FFM-IGEL

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Great work again from everyone and I’m happy to give my assistance with levels to make this game issue free

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:50 am

Congratulations and thanks for the new release. Looking forward to try out.

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:12 pm

Thank you for the wokr, will try it this evening
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Erd
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Erd » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks for the new release. Having followed this mod for decades, the breakthroughs and the incredible pace of releases are really exciting.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:28 pm

Awesome!!!......... :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

smm2303
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by smm2303 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:25 pm

I need my Battlefront Like lasers back. RED with White Core.

bunik
Recruit

Post by bunik » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks for the excellent job, guys!
smm2303 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:25 pm
agreed! And why did the selection option removed from the configurator?

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:30 pm

<salute>

That Shuttle looks unreal!
Awesome work, as always!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:37 am

smm2303 wrote:
bunik wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:30 pm
Thanks for the excellent job, guys!
smm2303 wrote:
agreed! And why did the selection option removed from the configurator?
There were some issues with those and since we also wanted to removed some of the clutter in Babu Frik we chose to simply remove them. We are looking at a redesign of the existing ones again, but no eta or even promise that we do get to them. Sorry about that, but there really wasn't a choice here.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

smm2303
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by smm2303 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:06 pm

That's disappointing. When do Rebels got Yellow Lasers? Check Battlefront II laser they are awesome, movie like.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:36 pm

New lasers will be in TFTC. Plus atmospheric level lasers, clone wars colors, and geonosian purple and yellow for pirates/syndicates/hutt, and Ashoka white lasers. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Awesome update, I love the Platform and the Shuttle the most!

However I've been encountering two bugs: one is when I run the game, it says "To call the hook that sets the craft offsets" is not properly initialized. And the HUD seems perpetually white, not loading at all even if I attempt to switch color. Anyone else encountering these? Should I reinstall it?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Metathrom wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 pm
Awesome update, I love the Platform and the Shuttle the most!

However I've been encountering two bugs: one is when I run the game, it says "To call the hook that sets the craft offsets" is not properly initialized. And the HUD seems perpetually white, not loading at all even if I attempt to switch color. Anyone else encountering these? Should I reinstall it?
The easiest thing to do would be to backup pilot files and reinstall "2020". Then Update 4.
Don't add anything to the game until it works. No mods, add ons or tweaks.
It's a conflict in a file somewhere. Once you've done that and if it still happens post again.

bunik
Recruit

Post by bunik » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Bman wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:36 pm
New lasers will be in TFTC. Plus atmospheric level lasers, clone wars colors, and geonosian purple and yellow for pirates/syndicates/hutt, and Ashoka white lasers. :-)
WOOOW! that's cool! :shock:

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:21 pm

Excellent stuff as always!

I'm having no luck getting the patch installed though. Can anyone help? :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Charger116 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:21 pm
Excellent stuff as always!

I'm having no luck getting the patch installed though. Can anyone help? :/
We've had issues like this before. It can be if a folder needs admin access. Also if it's on a weird drive.
Try running the installer as an admin.
You can also make sure the game is on a regular drive. Otherwise copy the game folder to say the C drive. Install to it and then copy back.

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 pm
We've had issues like this before. It can be if a folder needs admin access. Also if it's on a weird drive.
Try running the installer as an admin.
You can also make sure the game is on a regular drive. Otherwise copy the game folder to say the C drive. Install to it and then copy back.
That's done the trick. Thank you very much :^^:

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 am

Is this the right place to note that since Update 4, the game no longer recognizes my Thrustmaster T16000M buttons. The Axes all work correctly but the buttons do nothing. I saw the message that some users are having issues with more "modern" Joysticks. While this is a modern joystick by XWA standards, it is several years old already.

Using the Joystick Configuration tool does not fix the issue...... though the config tool DOES recognize all the buttons.

Any suggestions?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:53 pm

dhollinger3 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 am
Is this the right place to note that since Update 4, the game no longer recognizes my Thrustmaster T16000M buttons. The Axes all work correctly but the buttons do nothing. I saw the message that some users are having issues with more "modern" Joysticks. While this is a modern joystick by XWA standards, it is several years old already.

Using the Joystick Configuration tool does not fix the issue...... though the config tool DOES recognize all the buttons.

Any suggestions?
Rename the hook joystick.dll and see if the in game joystick options come up and work

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:53 pm
dhollinger3 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 am

Any suggestions?
Rename the hook joystick.dll and see if the in game joystick options come up and work
Renaming the hook_joystick.dll file fixes the issue and my buttons start working again.