[Solved] Can you have both vanilla and upgrades installed?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Can you have both vanilla and upgrades installed?

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:04 pm

So sorry if this is already covered somewhere, but my son likes the vanilla, out-of-the-box version of XWA, and I like the upgrades. Is it possible to have the two versions on one machine?

Thanks, this project is amazing!
Last edited by tfrese on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calmputer
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Calmputer » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm

you can install the game, then copy the entire install directory and rename the new folder "X-Wing Alliance Classic" (and make a shortcut to the new folder's ALLIANCE.EXE on your desktop).

Then you install XWAU on the original install directory. (and make a shortcut to *that* ALLIANCE.EXE and call it "X-Wing Alliance Upgrade").

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 pm

tfrese wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:04 pm
So sorry if this is already covered somewhere, but my son likes the vanilla, out-of-the-box version of XWA, and I like the upgrades. Is it possible to have the two versions on one machine?

Can I take a moment to ask for some feedback please?
Just wondering how old your son is and what he prefers on the vanilla version to the XWAU one?
It's his choice ofc and it's great he just likes XWA lol

Also Calmputer is totally correct in what he says. I've got several installs in different folders myself right now.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Thank you both! I copied the install directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance

and moved it to a new folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance Classic

I created a new shortcut mapping to the executable within that directory.

Then I installed the upgrades on top of the original install, with a corresponding shortcut to the executable, but the classic executables are still referring to the upgraded version and running the upgraded program. Did I miss a step? Thanks!
Last edited by tfrese on Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:21 pm

To answer Ace Antilles, my son is 10 and likes the modifications in the upgrades, he just gets frustrated whenever there's a glitch and doesn't have the patience to play with the settings to work it out. I think it's just his attention span :)

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:36 am

Calmputer wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm
you can install the game, then copy the entire install directory and rename the new folder "X-Wing Alliance Classic" (and make a shortcut to the new folder's ALLIANCE.EXE on your desktop).

Then you install XWAU on the original install directory. (and make a shortcut to *that* ALLIANCE.EXE and call it "X-Wing Alliance Upgrade").
Thank you both! I copied the install directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance

and moved it to a new folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance Classic

I created a new shortcut mapping to the executable within that directory.

Then I installed the upgrades on top of the original install, with a corresponding shortcut to the executable, but the classic executables are still referring to the upgraded version and running the upgraded program. Did I miss a step? Thanks!

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:37 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 pm
tfrese wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Can I take a moment to ask for some feedback please?
Just wondering how old your son is and what he prefers on the vanilla version to the XWAU one?
It's his choice ofc and it's great he just likes XWA lol

Also Calmputer is totally correct in what he says. I've got several installs in different folders myself right now.
To answer Ace Antilles, my son is 10 and likes the modifications in the upgrades, he just gets frustrated whenever there's a glitch and doesn't have the patience to play with the settings to work it out. I think it's just his attention span :)

tfrese
Recruit

Post by tfrese » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 pm

I found my issue. I had to deactivate the Steam client. Thank you again!