XwaOptEditor: Understanding the different texture types

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

XwaOptEditor: Understanding the different texture types

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:16 pm

I am trying to understand a bit better the different texture types for OPTs and how to use XwaOptEditor to utilize them.

I presume the color texture is of course for regular surfaces, and transparency textures are for clear parts like windows and so on. I am not quite clear on the illumination maps, as they always(?) have both a diffuse portion and an alpha mask. What are these two parts for specifically? Are they tied to materials at all? In my case I am looking to create cockpit lights. How would I setup my illumination texture? Also, are there any requirments on resolution, colour depth, or colours (i.e. greyscale)? I have seen some examples of blinking lights. How is that accomplished?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi there,
Alpha textures are used to make certain parts of a tecture transparrent, as you‘ve correctly guessed.
Illumination textures are used to - well - illuminate parts of a texture, Lights, Capital ship windows, engines etc. The parts that you don‘t want illuminated can be either black or transparent.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:37 pm

Great, thanks for that.

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:23 pm

Some more questions!

1. I tried converting all textures to 32 bits in the tool and then saved the .opt. However I ended up with these artifacts. Is there something that I did incorrectly, or considerations that need to be made?

2. I wanted to add an object to an OPT and did so by importing the OPT of the new component. However when I tried rotating the object in XwaOptEditor it seems to have screwed up the normals. How should I rotate objects in the tool? Is there a step to correct the normals?

3. To try and increase the resolution of the textures of an OPT, I exported the ones I wanted, increased the resolution (e.g. 256x256 to 512x512), and imported them back in and saved the OPT. However, it appears that doing so washes out and brightens the texture (the chairs in this case). What extra steps are needed, or did I not save the scaled texture in the right format?

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:03 am

What are you using for a texture editor? I personally use PSP.
Your focus determines your reality.