No cockpits/huds

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

No cockpits/huds

thorvindr
Recruit

Post by thorvindr » Mon May 02, 2022 1:03 am

Before I get into my problem, I feel the need to say: this is f@*#ing incredible! I never dreamed I'd be flying my X-Wing in full VR, with proper HOTAS control. You guys have gone BEYOND making my dreams come true. The recent release of Squadrons (it's not "bad," but there's just no comparing it to XWA/XvT) is evidence enough that the world still needs the XWAU, and specifically the VR bit.

On with the challenges.

When I fly an X-Wing, everything is nearly perfect. I'm sitting in a cockpit, with dynamic elements exactly where they are supposed to be. Feels like I'm sitting in a real cockpit. When I fly an A-Wing or a B-Wing, I'm sitting in an empty box where the cockpit should be. I can turn on the HUD by pressing D, which shows me the "holo" HUD. When Flying a Y-Wing, I'm flying naked. No cockpit, no HUD, no ship around me: nothing. I can still turn on the HUD by pressing D.

In all four Rebel fighters, and in the Otana, I have no reticle. I tried running Babu Frik; that's what got my X-Wing past the "empty box" I'm experiencing with the A-Wing and B-Wing. I enabled both Dynamic Cockpit and Active Cockpit (which I can't figure out how to use, but does seem to function as-intended, with a white cursor tracking across the surfaces in the cockpit, and turning green to indicate it's on something it can interact with). Looking at the screenshots here on the XWAU website, it's clear that there are cockpit graphics I'm not seeing. I just tried running the game in flat-screen mode, and had the same results. No aiming reticle, and cockpit/HUD graphics only in the X-Wing.

Tangential issue: the D HUD seems way too far back, like I want to scoot my chair back so I can see my HUD without having to move my head (which completely defeats the purpose of a HUD), but then I'm sitting so far back that I feel like I'm riding in the backseat. Assuming I can figuring out the other issue, this is not something I care about.

I'm running an Oculus Quest on my GeForce RTX 2080. It seems I must be doing something wrong in either my settings or my Babu Frik config, because flying the X-Wing itself is amazing (apart from the lack of reticle/crosshairs). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

thorvindr
Recruit

Post by thorvindr » Mon May 02, 2022 1:07 am

PS When I switch to missiles/torpedoes, I DO see the ammo counters exactly where I expect them to be, but no crosshair/reticle accompanies them.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 02, 2022 4:51 pm

Only a few cockpits have been enabled to use Dynamic Cockpit, the X-W, Y-W, B-W and A-W, for instance. The Ontana does not have a Dynamic Cockpit yet, but you should be able to see the reticle.

My guess is that since you mentioned that you moved your chair back, maybe the calibration was also messed up. Try pressing the period key twice while looking straight forward to reset the calibration.

The floating HUD is intentionally set so that you'll have to move your head. If you want to change its position, take a look at the readme: there are some hotkeys to resize it and move it. Be warned though: most people find the HUD very hard to read when resized.

Also, you're running an old version of ddraw, you might want to use ddraw 2.0 from the Downloads section.

thorvindr
Recruit

Post by thorvindr » Mon May 02, 2022 11:17 pm

Thanks! Will try updating ddraw and report back.

Since I mostly fly Rebel fighters, the HUD issue should turn out not to matter much.

To clarify: I didn't move my seat; the HUD just made me want to, since it is almost behind me. I'm very curious about the reasoning behind putting it so close to the pilot's face, as opposed to putting it in their field-of-view, where one would typically expect to find a Heads-Up Display.

I did try double-tapping "." In my case, it did not help.

How can you tell I'm using an older ddraw? Just wondering.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm

thorvindr wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:17 pm
I'm very curious about the reasoning behind putting it so close to the pilot's face, as opposed to putting it in their field-of-view, where one would typically expect to find a Heads-Up Display.
Because if you put the HUD in front of you then you won't be able to read it unless you've got a very high resolution in your headset and really good eyesight. Also putting it farther away from you will usually put it at the same depth as the cockpit, and then you'll get lots of visual contention issues.
How can you tell I'm using an older ddraw? Just wondering.
Because you mentioned the Active Cockpit, which I have yet to enable in ddraw 2.0

thorvindr
Recruit

Post by thorvindr » Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation(s). If I do end up regularly needing the holo HUD, I'll have to play around with the settings you mentioned.

I may be confusing "Active Cockpit" and "Dynamic Cockpit." If I'm not mistaken, DC is the cockpit instruments that are actual, physical pieces of the cockpit in certain ships, while AC is the visual cursor that allows interaction with interactive cockpit elements. Right?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed May 04, 2022 12:09 am

thorvindr wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 pm
I may be confusing "Active Cockpit" and "Dynamic Cockpit." If I'm not mistaken, DC is the cockpit instruments that are actual, physical pieces of the cockpit in certain ships, while AC is the visual cursor that allows interaction with interactive cockpit elements. Right?
Yes, you are correct. Us software devs are notoriously bad when it comes to naming things, so sorry about that! Let us know if you need more help here. The HUD can be configured in a number of ways :)