STAR WAR: Squadrons, FREE at Epic Games (24, Nov -01, Dec))

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

STAR WAR: Squadrons, FREE at Epic Games (24, Nov -01, Dec))

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:51 pm

STAR WARS: Squadrons is going free one more time, this time at Epic Games, from 24, November to 01, December. :geek:
Promotion should start in one hour or so, right now the previous week free games are still avaiulable.
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Talaris
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Talaris » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:14 am

Thanks, was thinking about posting this too. Would be fun to do PvE Fleet Battles with this community if there was interest!

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:51 am

Kinda sad. I bought it on launch, played 2 hours then lost interest. Could have gotten it for free several times since then …
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:21 am

Vince T wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:51 am
Kinda sad. I bought it on launch, played 2 hours then lost interest. Could have gotten it for free several times since then …
Yeah, while I did get it for cheap on a deal I just never got into it. Played maybe two missions? It looks good enough but I just didn't like the feel of it... Just another one on the every growing pile of games in my library that I barely touched...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Knarfe
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Knarfe » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:47 am

Besides graphics nearly everything in Squadrons was terrible.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:53 pm

I enjoyed the gameplay, but never finished the campaign.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:13 am

I’ve finished the campaign a couple of times. Unfortunately, it turns out that my internet is nowhere near good enough to play multiplayer, and the solo skirmishes are badly spoiled by the fact that they also require a stable internet connection anyway.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Guyofthe80s
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Guyofthe80s » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am

I loved playing this game for the first bit of it's life up through the TIE Defender and B-Wing getting released for it (mostly due to the player outcry to have them). The game was great RIIIIIGHT up until an exploit was made a core gameplay element that totally destroyed any semblance of balance.

There was a HUGE tournament for it a while ago that was INCREDIBLE to watch.

There was a prequel short for the game put out from one of the Imperial pilot's perspective that was REALLY well done. I keep hoping for a follow up game to materialize, but it's really doubtful it'll ever happen.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:03 pm

Heh, yeah. The exploits becoming a core part of the online experience was irritating. Even more irritating that the regular player base will mock you if you complain about the exploits.
— Hobbie Klivian

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:36 am

Forceflow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:21 am
Yeah, while I did get it for cheap on a deal I just never got into it. Played maybe two missions? It looks good enough but I just didn't like the feel of it... Just another one on the every growing pile of games in my library that I barely touched...
Indeed, visually SW:S is great but sadly it's not X-Wing/TIE Fighter... :nosmile:
Also yes for the pile of games we barely touch, it just gets bigger and bigger...
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:23 am

Marcos_Edson wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:36 am
Forceflow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:21 am
Indeed, visually SW:S is great but sadly it's not X-Wing/TIE Fighter... :nosmile:
Also yes for the pile of games we barely touch, it just gets bigger and bigger...
They did a good job gameplay-wise, but the game lack what made the X-Wing series great IMO
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 pm

Another arcade game. No thanks. But graphics look fantastic.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Guyofthe80s
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Guyofthe80s » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 pm

It wasn't as simple as an arcade shooter... each ship had it's own base stats, you could change weapons and secondary gear (engines, shields, hull), and you needed some actual skill to do well

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 am

I bought it at launch ;-( I like the singleplayer but Multiplayer is nothing for me here.
Grapic is great.
They sould make a new story and some Singleplayer leveles.

But for free it is absolut ok
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:57 pm

What is missing from it, IMO, is the actual warfare part (completing actual missions), and especially the Asymmetric warfare situation, where the empire is acting as a full fledge fleet that have to defend objectives, while the rebel alliance is a mostly stateless group who have to use hit and run tactics the vast majority of the time.

The SP campaign is mostly a small self-contained story.

The MP is either melee or ship-to-ship combat

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:03 pm

I understand they did not have the time and money to do it, but it’s a bit frustrating that we got a story that leads directly to the Battle of Jakku and yet we did not get to the big battle itself.
— Hobbie Klivian

Guyofthe80s
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Guyofthe80s » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:39 pm

DarHan wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:03 pm
I understand they did not have the time and money to do it, but it’s a bit frustrating that we got a story that leads directly to the Battle of Jakku and yet we did not get to the big battle itself.
I have a feeling they've been dancing around the Battle of Jakku partially because of Battlefront II and because there may be loose plans to eventually have it be a live action set piece in a movie or show... or MAY have been a plan at one point.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:06 am

And disney told them not to....

It's like the Clone wars before the prequel, Lucas had forbidden novel writer from exploring the clone war until he did the prequel

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm

Guyofthe80s wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:39 pm
I have a feeling they've been dancing around the Battle of Jakku partially because of Battlefront II and because there may be loose plans to eventually have it be a live action set piece in a movie or show... or MAY have been a plan at one point.
That may be, but meanwhile the battle has been pretty well described even outside of Battlefront II. The third novels of the Aftermath and Alphabet Squadron trilogies had their climax set during the battle…

The Alphabet Squadron book in particular showed that you could have a big space battle scene set during Jakku without having to show the rest of the battle.
— Hobbie Klivian

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:32 pm

Bman wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 pm
It isn't arcade like at all.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:53 am

Bman wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 pm
Not really, but it has that annoying limited play area from Rogue Squadron. You probably won't notice in single player because the design after the first missions is actually good at making you do things that make a sort of sense but in multiplayer it can get annoying.
But then again I preferred the single player anyway.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:51 am

Just the way it looks or feels to me. Doesn't look realistic imho for game play or like movies. Too fast paced. I prefer this XWA engine.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:01 pm

Yeah, little faster paced. I played for a while, but eventually I found it to be like any other online shooter, in that actual squads would wipe the floor with you and the matchmaking sucked. Doing well for yourself didn't have much bearing on W/L, and then the whole "meta" kicked in so if you weren't using certain loadouts at higher rankings you're screwed.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt