Problem with speed indicator - A-Wing/X-Wing

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Problem with speed indicator - A-Wing/X-Wing

kaobang
Recruit

Post by kaobang » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:29 am

Hi!

I'm new to this mod and it is quite a treat. I've installed all the version up to 5.5 and everything is ok, except the speed indicator in the A-Wing and X-Wing.

The numbers are sideways and I'm seeing only the last right digit as you can see on this example. Somebody happen to know why ?

Thanks!
Capture d’écran 2022-12-22 201043.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 pm

kaobang wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:29 am
The numbers are sideways and I'm seeing only the last right digit as you can see on this example. Somebody happen to know why ?
I'm not sure the number is sideways, but I see what you mean. This is a known problem. Unfortunately, since it's now possible to select a number of arbitrary fonts for the text, it's hard to design the cockpits to accommodate all possible combinations. One thing you can do is go to the in-game menu by pressing ESC and then change the in-game resolution to something higher (lower resolutions tend to use larger fonts).

Another thing you can try is pressing 'D' to display the regular HUD. Then you can hide individual panels.

Does this problem happen in other cockpits, or is it just the A-Wing?

Suli
Recruit

Post by Suli » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:27 pm

Hi, I got the same issue, but i play already at max resolution.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Tue May 02, 2023 7:47 am

The main source of this problem is related to Sprite/UV coordinate that mismatch from the original US/English version of the game due to translated text. Indeed, in the original US/En version, the speed is preceded by the Word "Speed", while in French for example it is translated to "Vit." (short for Vitesse). This cause the number to be slightly moved along the lateral axis. Even using mono-spaced font would not fix the problem since the count of letter change from the US/En version.

So, there are mainly two possible workaround:

1) Editing the XWA.TAB file to replace the translated words by the original ones ie. "Speed", "Time", etc...

2) Creating several versions of the Dynamic Cockpit configuration *.DC files for each known language and applying the proper set corresponding to the installed version.