[Help] GPU load

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Help] GPU load

eziya76
Recruit

Post by eziya76 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:06 pm

Hello guys,

I installed XWAU with a default configuration and found that my GPU load is quite high 60~70%.
during hyperspace, it reaches 100% load of GPU.
Is it normal usage?
Sometimes, it's quite hard to control the flight as it moves in the wrong direction.

My PC specs are here.
i5-10400F / 32GB RAM / SSD 512GB / Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti
Game display resolution 1600x900

Thank you in advance for your replies.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 pm

eziya76 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:06 pm
I installed XWAU with a default configuration and found that my GPU load is quite high 60~70%.
Is it normal usage?
I haven't measured GPU usage on my end, but the hyperspace sequence is 100% generated in the GPU through procedural shaders, so that's probably correct.
Sometimes, it's quite hard to control the flight as it moves in the wrong direction.
Can you be a bit more specific? I believe what you're experiencing is the Gimbal Lock problem. This happens when trying to fly straight "up" or "down". In skirmish missions, this is easier to see because Suns and Planets tend to be located at these locations. Try downloading the latest hooks: we already have a hook (hook_gimbal_lock) that fixes that, just make sure it's enabled.

SkywalkerXF
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SkywalkerXF » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:23 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 pm
eziya76 wrote:
Is it normal usage?
I haven't measured GPU usage on my end, but the hyperspace sequence is 100% generated in the GPU through procedural shaders, so that's probably correct.
Can you be a bit more specific? I believe what you're experiencing is the Gimbal Lock problem. This happens when trying to fly straight "up" or "down". In skirmish missions, this is easier to see because Suns and Planets tend to be located at these locations. Try downloading the latest hooks: we already have a hook (hook_gimbal_lock) that fixes that, just make sure it's enabled.
Where can we download those?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:27 pm

SkywalkerXF wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:23 pm
Where can we download those?
Go to the Downloads section in the forums and then look for XWA Hooks Setup. This is the direct link:

https://raw.github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaH ... sSetup.zip

Unzip the tool and run it. It will download the latest versions of the hooks. Then you can just copy these hooks into your XWA directory. I think you only need the hook_gimbal_lock files to fix the problems with your joystick.

SkywalkerXF
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SkywalkerXF » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:36 pm

Thank you very much! I am getting that windows, where it says "isHookEnabled = 0" must be set. Is there any fix for this ?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:05 pm

SkywalkerXF wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:36 pm
Thank you very much! I am getting that windows, where it says "isHookEnabled = 0" must be set. Is there any fix for this ?
Yes, open hooks.ini in any text editor and find the following:

Code: Select all

[hook_d3d]
IsHookD3DEnabled = 0
If it's set to 1, change it to 0. That should fix your problem.

eziya76
Recruit

Post by eziya76 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:40 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 pm
eziya76 wrote:
Is it normal usage?
I tested as you suggested.
I found that flight is out of control when I faced a big planet as you mentioned.
and copying hoook_gimbal_lock solves my issues.

Thank you. blue_max