YOGEME by JaggedFel

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: YOGEME by JaggedFel

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:19 pm

Blazingfirestorm wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 am
found an issue when I load up an existing file I don't get the wireframes on the map, i get the icons but if I load up YOGEME then choose the file that way I get the wireframes on the map.
Just so I'm clear, you're saying when double-clicking the mission file to open it the wireframes don't work, but starting YOGEME first and then opening the mission the map works fine?
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Yep that’s it

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm

Another suggestion on the map if a FG has more than 1 craft and in a particular formation it would be great if we could see the ships on the map that way we could see if any ships are clipping into anything

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:24 pm

Blazingfirestorm wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm
Another suggestion on the map if a FG has more than 1 craft and in a particular formation it would be great if we could see the ships on the map that way we could see if any ships are clipping into anything
That might be tough, due to spacings being different per craft, but I can look into it.
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:37 am

weird bug on tie fighter where the text in the briefing will duplicate
text bug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:03 pm

Blazingfirestorm wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:37 am
weird bug on tie fighter where the text in the briefing will duplicate
What steps did you take to get there? That's not the original text so the mission's been modified, and simply overflowing the text doesn't cause that.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm

it seems when you modify the mission and then save it causes it

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:43 pm

Blazingfirestorm wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm
it seems when you modify the mission and then save it causes it
No, there's something else going on because I can save it with overflowed text (which I really should be preventing), close YOGEME and it re-opens fine.

What version of YOGEME are you using, and can you attach the mission file you're having trouble with?

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:51 pm

I'm using V 1.13.12 I'm not having issue with opening it or saving it, the issue is when you save after modifying it will duplicate the text

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:56 pm

scratch that it not when you modified it then I don't know what causes it

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:59 pm

Hey @JaggedFel is there any new update in the pipeline? Just curious what you might be working on, if still working on things that is :)

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 pm

AngeI wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:59 pm
Hey JaggedFel is there any new update in the pipeline? Just curious what you might be working on, if still working on things that is :)
I redid the hook dialog and posted v1.15 a week or so ago, brought it up to current especially with all of the new hangar stuff, couple more hooks that affect missions.

As for my to-dos,
- I've got a suggestion for a way to move all WPs simultaneously, to make editing copy/pasted FGs easier to work with, this'll probably be the next real thing.
- Have some XW formation issues I need to work out
- There's still some wonkiness with how the hyper enter/exit points are handled, especially when users don't setup the buoys in a "normal" (and therefore untested) manner, so I'd like get that smoothed out at some point
- Various back-end things I want to do, especially when dealing with some of the more complex relationships between FGs (e.g., getting Mothership info), and getting rid of magic numbers as much as possible, but that's all code stuff and not visible to the user.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:47 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:34 pm
I redid the hook dialog and posted v1.15 a week or so ago, brought it up to current especially with all of the new hangar stuff, couple more hooks that affect missions.

As for my to-dos,
- I've got a suggestion for a way to move all WPs simultaneously, to make editing copy/pasted FGs easier to work with, this'll probably be the next real thing.
- Have some XW formation issues I need to work out
- There's still some wonkiness with how the hyper enter/exit points are handled, especially when users don't setup the buoys in a "normal" (and therefore untested) manner, so I'd like get that smoothed out at some point
- Various back-end things I want to do, especially when dealing with some of the more complex relationships between FGs (e.g., getting Mothership info), and getting rid of magic numbers as much as possible, but that's all code stuff and not visible to the user.
Oh nice, I'll go grab that then. I definitely had problems with the hyper exit waypoints, I got it on livestream, it was not saving or remembering the positions I put it to, sometimes I can't even select the exit waypoint, definitely janky but then I didn't realise I was so far behind on my versions (I was on 1.13.12) so will see how it is with 1.15 :)

Edit: Yes definitely better on 1.15 but still jank, like moving the hyperbuoy resets or changes the waypoints you set for the exit paths. :D

My top QoL recommendation would be to allow multiple selections of map briefing events because doing it one by one is very tedious. I also find myself liking how AlliED lets me move the icons on the map briefing freely and also sets its starting position coords accordingly as you move, but that's just me.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:04 am

AngeI wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:47 pm
Edit: Yes definitely better on 1.15 but still jank, like moving the hyperbuoy resets or changes the waypoints you set for the exit paths. :D
Well that might be intentional, depending on the situation.

For the player, the exit vector is defined by the exit buoy and Order 1 WP 1 of the new region and the player is spawned on that vector, about 0.62 km (99 or 100 units) behind the buoy.

For NPC craft, the exit vector is also defined by the exit buoy and O1W1, but there's a positional offset which is defined by the enter buoy and the last WP in the previous region's Hyper order, keeping the exit vector parallel to the original.

In both cases, moving the exit buoy will change the path the craft takes upon exit and the virtual WP used as the start position in the new region. Moving the enter buoy will only affect NPC craft but also changes the virtual start WP as well as the virtual WP used as the pointing reference to maintain the exit vector. Modifying O1W1 (which is hidden) changes the pointing WP, but also if the pointing WP (which is actually visible and can be dragged) is modified, it needs to propagate back into O1W1.

Some of the jank comes with how I hacked this in after the framework was done; as now instead of just displaying StartPoint1 and having it respond to selection, clicks, etc, I have to determine which region it came from, determine which buoys that involves, calculate the virtual WPs, and then try to swap that in for all the different places it's expecting SP1 (that was one of the issues that led to 1.14, I missed something). Same with the virtual pointing WP, as now instead of O1W1, I have to swap in "WP18", and doing these type of checks/swaps the framework just wasn't really meant for. Even when I first started working on the hyper stuff, I knew I really wanted to rebuild it entirely with this in mind instead of just duct taping to the outside and hoping it held.

So yeah, it's a lot better than it was, but it's still got issues and it's pain in the butt to work on and it's easy to miss something,. Adding this on later just made it more frustrating.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:11 am

JaggedFel wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:04 am
Well that might be intentional, depending on the situation.

For the player, the exit vector is defined by the exit buoy and Order 1 WP 1 of the new region and the player is spawned on that vector, about 0.62 km (99 or 100 units) behind the buoy.

For NPC craft, the exit vector is also defined by the exit buoy and O1W1, but there's a positional offset which is defined by the enter buoy and the last WP in the previous region's Hyper order, keeping the exit vector parallel to the original.

In both cases, moving the exit buoy will change the path the craft takes upon exit and the virtual WP used as the start position in the new region. Moving the enter buoy will only affect NPC craft but also changes the virtual start WP as well as the virtual WP used as the pointing reference to maintain the exit vector. Modifying O1W1 (which is hidden) changes the pointing WP, but also if the pointing WP (which is actually visible and can be dragged) is modified, it needs to propagate back into O1W1.

Some of the jank comes with how I hacked this in after the framework was done; as now instead of just displaying StartPoint1 and having it respond to selection, clicks, etc, I have to determine which region it came from, determine which buoys that involves, calculate the virtual WPs, and then try to swap that in for all the different places it's expecting SP1 (that was one of the issues that led to 1.14, I missed something). Same with the virtual pointing WP, as now instead of O1W1, I have to swap in "WP18", and doing these type of checks/swaps the framework just wasn't really meant for. Even when I first started working on the hyper stuff, I knew I really wanted to rebuild it entirely with this in mind instead of just duct taping to the outside and hoping it held.

So yeah, it's a lot better than it was, but it's still got issues and it's pain in the butt to work on and it's easy to miss something,. Adding this on later just made it more frustrating.
I understand, and I truly appreciate your efforts. This and some of the map briefing stuff is the only reason I very rarely return to AlliED to do those bits, because I feel it does this more effectively, otherwise YOGEME is a truly superb tool these days :)

LPhoenix
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by LPhoenix » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:13 pm

I've found an interesting functionality in one of the original XWA missions, which gets broken if the mission is saved with YOGEME.

In B3M7, the arrival mothership of the ATR Storm and ISD Imperator are set to be SHU AA - 23, but they are not actually flying out of the SHU, that would be stupid. Instead, when they are triggered to arrive, they arrive from hyperspace into the same region where the SHU is. This could be in this case Region 2 or Region 3, depending on how the player handles things.

If the mission is saved by YOGEME, even without changing anything in the mission, the ATR and ISD will fly out of the SHU
With AlliED this doesn't break.
I haven't seen any field or any kind of option to actually set a behavior like this in either of the editors, so maybe it's a functionality, which was missed by both editors so far.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:10 pm

LPhoenix wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:13 pm
I've found an interesting functionality in one of the original XWA missions, which gets broken if the mission is saved with YOGEME.

In B3M7, the arrival mothership of the ATR Storm and ISD Imperator are set to be SHU AA - 23, but they are not actually flying out of the SHU, that would be stupid. Instead, when they are triggered to arrive, they arrive from hyperspace into the same region where the SHU is. This could be in this case Region 2 or Region 3, depending on how the player handles things.

If the mission is saved by YOGEME, even without changing anything in the mission, the ATR and ISD will fly out of the SHU
With AlliED this doesn't break.
I haven't seen any field or any kind of option to actually set a behavior like this in either of the editors, so maybe it's a functionality, which was missed by both editors so far.
It could also be a hardcoded functionality for this particular mission, for example Mission 2 is a hardcoded turret railroad section that is not something you can enable/disable in either editor (though we can now do it via hooks). Maybe @JeremyaFr can confirm that or not for this particular instance.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:08 pm

I think it is not hardcoded for a specific mission.
If it is the case why the behavior is different between AlliED and YOGEME.
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:29 pm

Yeah, I'd doubt it's a hard-code if the same mission is behaving differently. I'll take a look, see if there's something odd changing between the two.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:29 am

AngeI wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:10 pm
. . .
It could also be a hardcoded functionality for this particular mission, for example Mission 2 is a hardcoded turret railroad section that is not something you can enable/disable in either editor (though we can now do it via hooks). Maybe @JeremyaFr can confirm that or not for this particular instance.
RE: 1B0m2.tie mission, while it is hardcoded to make the player use the Gunner turret seat on YT craft (without looking at mission.tie file), DS and I discovered a work around 20+ years ago before any hooks came about. You just need to open the .dat file and delete the image index record "15210-2 Format23 260x260 0,0." So you start with 15210-1, skip to 15210-3 and load it's image with what was in 15210-2, replace 15210-4 with image that was in 15210-3, and so on. All images would be pushed +1 in their new index slots. The mini images would stay the same index numbers.... 15210-1000, 15210-2000, 15210-3000, and so on. It works but that's all mute now since hook(s) get around that.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:25 am

So I loaded the mission (both original vanilla CD and Steam XWAUP) into both editors, tweaked a message just to they'd let me save, and then bit compared the results.

Apparently, the ArrivalMethod or ArriveViaMothership values aren't boolean. For the player, SHU AA-23, and one of the Hyp buoys, the value is 2. Both editors show it as "Hyperspace", likely because it's not "1" which means "Arrive via Mothership". Not touching anything else, AlliEd keeps it as "2", YOGEME changes it to "1" (likely because it's not "0"). Now it's odd that Storm and Imperator aren't any different in the mission file, but the behavior is changing, since changing the shuttle's mothership shouldn't change the behavior of its daughter craft.

I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow, fix the behavior so if anything it switches it to "0", but also see if "2" actually does anything.

Of course, if Jeremy or someone can find that function and see if the engine is doing anything, that'll help, too.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:45 pm

The values for ArrivalMethod1 and DepartureMethod1 can be 0, 1, or 2.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:02 pm

Posted 1.15.1 yesterday, fixes a crash in missions using Region 4.

Haven't gotten anywhere with the Arr/Dep yet.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:33 pm

so in the original game if a Hyper buoy had the role X20 unknown the one under HYP to region #4 ships would exit from this hyper buoy as a default from buoy however that not he case at the moment it seems to put the ships in a random spot

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:38 pm

For the Arr/Dep value, not sure if it would actually have an effect on Departure, but for Arrival I believe the method is "HYP in Region of [Mothership]". Storm and Imperator appear to be outliers, most of the FGs I'm seeing this apply to are called as player reinforcements, so the arrival method would be "HYP in Region of player", with the player being assigned the mothership value, to ensure they show up where you need them instead of possibly having to make multiple jumps to reach you.

There's only 10 FGs combined in all vanilla missions that use this.

For the HYP role, just so my response is here as well, looks like that Unk value is "HYP from Any Region"