How in the world does anybody find the functions to map to HOTAS controls?

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

How in the world does anybody find the functions to map to HOTAS controls?

buermann
Recruit

Post by buermann » Sat May 20, 2023 11:01 pm

After some mucking about I finally got the game running in Steam VR (Oculus Rift S; Win10; GOG base install; Thrustmaster T.16000M & TWCS Throttle) but now I am confronted on the first mission with configuring my HOTAS in some sensible way, but going into the XWA Joystick Config I am confronted with an utterly disorganized list of dozens if not hundreds of functions listed in a seemingly arbitrary order, with some sort of leading control code noise, the hotkey, and then a description of the function. I'm trying to set up the targeting commands across a couple of the throttle's hats but the commands are so difficult to find in this list -- I'll find one I want to map in the jumble but I'll be on the wrong control for it, so I figure out which control I want it to be on but then can't find the command in the jumble -- that I've thrown my hands up in despair.

Maybe I need to play the game through with mouse and keyboard first and then the joystick configuration will magically make sense (I'd be doing that already but I'd have to undo whatever it was I did to get VR working)? Is there some other configuration tool people are using that this isn't a more common gripe?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:51 pm

You should have indicators in the configurator that light up when you press a button. Then set it up like you like.
Image Image Image Image Image

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Sun May 21, 2023 7:02 am

You may want to have a look here:
https://github.com/edemirkan/tftc-joystick-resources

Or you can use an external profiler from your HOTAS vendor or Joystick Gremlin to map the buttons to key presses.
https://forums.xwaupgrade.com/viewtopic.php?t=13904