[B0M8] Joining the Rebellion Mission 1: Deep Space Strike Evaluation

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

[B0M8] Joining the Rebellion Mission 1: Deep Space Strike Evaluation

LPhoenix
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by LPhoenix » Sat May 13, 2023 6:39 pm

There is a global goal (0 points) in this mission, which has completely different things to do than the text would indicate:
Secondary Goals:
- 100% of GG 8: Imp Containers must be inspected in Target Area 2 (there are no containers in Target Area 2, only in Target Area 1) AND
- 100% of GG 12 must be inspected (the convoy in Target Area 3) AND
- 100% of GG 12 must be destroyed
Completion Texts:
- Landing Craft: All destroyed
- Laser Batteries: All destroyed
- Convoy: All destroyed (the only correct one)

I think they should be changed to align, by changing the text, or by changing the goals, tho I don't know what Landing Craft refers to, as there is no such thing in this mission.

What do you guys think?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 13, 2023 8:33 pm

Welcome to the hidden, half finished stuff that Totally Games left behind 😄
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

LPhoenix
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by LPhoenix » Mon May 22, 2023 8:52 pm

I propose this version of the mission to make the goals text better:
1B0M8W.TIE
Changes:
- "Landing Craft: All destroyed" text changed to "Containers: All inspected" and changed the region to "Target Area 1" from "Target Area 2"
- "Laser Batteries: All destroyed" text changed to "Convoy: All inspected"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:19 pm

LPhoenix wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:52 pm
I propose this version of the mission to make the goals text better: 1B0M8W.TIE
Changes:
- "Landing Craft: All destroyed" text changed to "Containers: All inspected" and changed the region to "Target Area 1" from "Target Area 2"
- "Laser Batteries: All destroyed" text changed to "Convoy: All inspected"
Thanks very much for your help!
I've added the mission to our future update.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Solo4114
Recruit

Post by Solo4114 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:37 am

Just played this mission last night. Noticed two things.

1. Holy crap, this mission is HARD. I don't remember it being nearly this difficult when I originally played the game (and I haven't played since then). Tried dropping difficulty to Easy in-game and it didn't really help. The biggest issues I noticed was that the timeframe to jump into the final location and destroy the convoy is...really tight. This is exacerbated by (a) flying a slow tug like the Y-wing, (b) having much more accurate enemies than I remembered (which in turn forces a lot of dumping lasers into shields, meaning you can't actually shoot as fast), and (c) even if you fly back to rearm on torpedoes, it's still pretty difficult. I wound up just turning on infinite ammo and spamming torpedoes, at which point this mission was a breeze. Still feels like something could be done to re-balance the mission. I don't know if it's just a general difficulty spike due to modern hardware, or if the design of this mission in particular is meant to be a real bear, but man...it was rough. The next mission was a cakewalk by comparison. This mission, though? Not fun.

2. In the first area where you destroy the containers, for whatever reason, I got a "You've destroyed a friendly ship!" message at one point. There was no friendly ship present that I noticed. My wingman and the nav buoy were all fine. So...what's the friendly ship? I blow up the containers, blow up the station...and if you do it too fast, it says you destroyed a friendly ship? Is this meant to refer to the pilots or escape pods or something? Even if they're coded "imperial" or other enemy IFF? I mean, it deducts a whopping 15 points, and I don't especially care about points, but yeah, this was weird.