Direct3DTexture::Load Error

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Direct3DTexture::Load Error

Player_1Up
Recruit

Post by Player_1Up » Wed May 31, 2023 7:07 pm

Hi folks,

Probably not a new topic, but i couldn't see a a related thread to solve my issue.

I've Installed XWAU on a clean GOG XWA. I've Installed Mega Update v5 and Patch v5.6.2. Game loads but when I launch into and 'begin mission' I get a Direct3DTexture::Load 'Not enough memory reources are available to complete this operation' error box'. Tried some self help but to no avail.

What am I doing wrong please...any ideas so that I can get to play this awesome looking MOD..?

Many thanks in advance.
V/r,
Player_1Up

Sytem Specs
Running a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:57 pm

@blue_max or @m0rgg any ideas on this error?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Bernie
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Bernie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Same error after update to v5.6.2

Sytem Specs
Running a 8th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
Win 10

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:43 pm

Hello,

With the risk of sounding topical or obvious... Have you rebooted your machine lately?

Alternatively you can try Ctrl+shift+Alt+ B to reset your graphics driver.
XWAU by itself shouldn't be exhausting all your video RAM by itself.

@blue_max will review the resources managent Soon™️, but for now I don't have any specific workaround 🫤

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:47 am

Running into this all the time after a mission. I'm watching the memory usage on the Task Manager and when I'm going to the hangar the Dedicated GPU memory usage jumps all the way to the max (4.0 GB for my card) and then stays there through the entire mission. In the mission, the game runs absolutely perfectly with only minor slowdowns every once in a while when I'm staring at a light source.

However, once I complete the mission and head back to the menu, none of the allocated memory is returned (stays at 3.9-4.0 GBs in the menus) and, if I try to hop into another mission, I'll get the DIRECT3DTEXTURE::LOAD ERROR and a crash. This happens in XWA missions and skirmishes, even with only 2 different ships. I've also had it happen on a mission in which I died and had to restart the mission (without leaving the 3D battlefield).

I never had this issue with earlier installs - I just checked with a fresh 5.5 install and, while it always fills the GPU and stays that way through a mission, after a mission it does drop (usually to 3.5 GBs) and I can enter another mission without having to close the game. Tried it a number of times with a multitude of ships and had no issues.

I've tried everything I can think of to free up GPU memory - the only programs running are XWA and my HOTAS launcher (and SteamVR/Virtual Desktop Streamer when in VR) and I'll get the crash whether I'm in VR or not. Is it something to do with the new effects? I haven't tried fully disabling them (I have tried turning down the bloom - no change to the crashing behavior), but I can attempt that next.

Specs:
AMD FX-8320
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (4GB dedicated GPU memory)
Win 10

bodolza
Recruit

Post by bodolza » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm

Hi,

Jumping in to say I have the same problem. Clean install using GOG version, v5.5.2 and TFTC 1.3.3. I'm using a 3080 with 10GB VRAM. Initially I was running at 1080P with MSAA, and would get a memory error while starting a mission. I saw that the game renders at 4K regardless of the resolution setting, so I changed to 4K and turned off MSAA. That lowered memory requirements enough that I can fully play a mission, but now I crash with a D3D memory error every time I return to hanger at the end of the mission. Performance during gameplay is fine. I haven't noticed any frame drops.

Checking VRAM usage I can see that it's using 8-9 GB during gameplay, so I'm not shocked that it may run out during transitions. The question I have is if this is expected behavior, and what I can do about it. For example, are there some texture settings I can lower? Or perhaps have it render at a lower resolution? I could probably disable RT, but I'd like to explore other options with less visual effect.

Thanks,

Sytem Specs
Intel i7-18700K 3.7 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:25 pm

bodolza wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm
Checking VRAM usage I can see that it's using 8-9 GB during gameplay, so I'm not shocked that it may run out during transitions. The question I have is if this is expected behavior, and what I can do about it. For example, are there some texture settings I can lower? Or perhaps have it render at a lower resolution? I could probably disable RT, but I'd like to explore other options with less visual effect.
We're aware that there are some memory leaks in the engine. Plugging these leaks is going to take a while, though. The mystery is that some people can run the game on cards that have less memory without running into this problem (I've got a 1060 with 4Gb RAM, for instance, I run RT at 3000x1680 but without MSAA). I'll be addressing these leaks in the near future.

bodolza
Recruit

Post by bodolza » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:50 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:25 pm
We're aware that there are some memory leaks in the engine. Plugging these leaks is going to take a while, though. The mystery is that some people can run the game on cards that have less memory without running into this problem (I've got a 1060 with 4Gb RAM, for instance, I run RT at 3000x1680 but without MSAA). I'll be addressing these leaks in the near future.
Thanks. You're continued efforts are greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I can help troubleshoot in any way.