What PC and OS

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

What PC and OS

Christopher.issler
Recruit

Post by Christopher.issler » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:11 am

Guys,

Oddly I'm a computer guy(BS in COmputer Information Systems)...but I do not have a computer to myself, other than my work PC.

I was telling my 9year old son, Luke, about Xwing Alliance, and how as I kid always played it. He found this site and the videos online of the gameplay...I'm hooked. I must have.

So I need a computer ASAP that can run this mod, which is quite amazing I must say!!! I am very excited to use it.

I don't need a full fledge top of the line gaming rig...I just need someone to tell me what the necessary PC requirements are to run this at its highest fidelity. Maybe point out a machine online so I don't need to waist time searching around.

Please let me know asap...because I can't wait to play.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:02 am

Normally any modern gaming PC should be more than enough to run the mod at full HD resolution (1080p). The better the GPU and CPU the more resolution you will be able to push, which is especially important in VR and for ray-traced shadows. You probably want to spend a bit more on a fast single-thread CPU (not necessarily many cores) than in the most expensive GPU.

That said, no computer you can buy, even with a RTX4090 and the latest CPU will be able to run the game perfectly smoothly today, and that is due to lack of optimization (no real multithreaded rendering, asset format not optimal...)

It's a 20-something year old engine, and it's already an astounding achievement that it runs as well as it does, looking as good as it does. The team are still working to improve it but you can expect some slowdowns in certain missions/scenarios. Although hopefully the latest hook_32bpp has improved that a lot and an upcoming ddraw.dll version will improve even more in VR.