Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Rants & spoilers)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (may contain traces of spoil)

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't know where you got that from but all sources have stated the Battle of Jakku is a year after Endor. Aftermath, Lost Stars, Battlefront, Visual Dictionaries all date Jakku to 5 ABY.

As for Gideon, we don't know how much of a regional power he is. He could control several systems, but that doesn't make him a major power in the galaxy. It's possible he controls a sector even, but I doubt he's a Warlord like Zsinj for example.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:21 pm

Also, Bloodline and Before the Awakening both established that several NR senators were covert members or supporters of the First Order. Bloodline is pretty much the tale of a successful FO plot to turn Leia from an admired figure to a political pariah. With FO sympathizers comfortably present in the NR government while their most powerful opponent has been exiled from it, is it any surprise that the NR was easily duped?
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:41 am

"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Oh I like that FO Bomber!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:54 am

So do I, not really sold on that B-Wing, though.

For one thing, it seems to have fewer guns.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:02 am

Said it in another thread a while ago, the FO TIE Bomber is gorgeous.

Just like with the Resurgent-class, the First Order saw what was wrong with the original iteration (let' face it, the Imperial TIE Bomber is probably the worst ship in all of Star Wars), and improved it, and turned it into a lethal ship.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:15 am

Nice, thanks for sharing that Tuskin. And I didn't realize the Blue Ray DVD was coming out this soon.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:55 pm

This guy has been doing some break down of the fleet ships
https://twitter.com/AdmiralNick22/media

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:22 pm

So many Mon Cal ships showing up. Considering that Dac is likely in ruins by the time of the movie…
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:23 pm

In my head canon, the kitbashed MC75s and MC80s were manufactured by the Mon Calamari for the defense forces of New Republic worlds, whereas the MC85s were surviving New Republic Defense Fleet vessels.

I really hope we get more details about the ships present at Exegol. Some of the MC80s in particular look really cool, as does the Nebulon-B/Assault Frigate hybrid.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 pm

So... I've not had a chance to really discuss my thoughts on the movie itself... I saw it in the cinema in the new year.... and I wanted to wait until I could download it and watch it again once or twice to really make up my mind.

I have.... and I think it's just more garbage that's barely better than TLJ which holds a special place in my heart as the worst SW movie ever made.... even worse than TPM.

You see I've gone back and watched the prequels a few times over the last few years... and I've got a new appreciation for them... Sure TPM is still garbage and the other two aren't that much better... but all 3 are better than TLJ and RoSW.

The problem is that JJ Abrahms is a shitty director... and not shitty in the way that Lucas was... at least Lucas had vision and passion for his creation... all Abrahms ever does is copy what everyone else has done before and throw in his over used tropes that he does in every movie... RoSW is nothing more than a rehash of RotJ but kicked up by a factor of 100 without any regard for doing anything with due care or respect to what's come before.... Being able to pas items through the force between locations... FFS... take that crap and shove it.

Disney and Abrahms have killed SW for me... they've ruined something I held very dear from my childhood... On the brighter side... Rogue One was fantastic and one of the best SW movies ever made and I really enjoyed Solo... it has it's flaws but it's a 100 times better than any of the sequel trilogy.... I can just about tolerate FA in the same way I tolerate TPM... but don't get me started on Finn's magical ability to know everything about every First Order system on every base/ship just because he used to mop the floors and then failed on his first outing as a storm trooper... That's just the worst kind of shitty writing imaginable.

So to sum up... Rise of Skywalker...... Shitty writing, shitty acting, shitty characters that seem to get shittier with each movie, shitty plot, shitty directing, great CGI, great cinematography... But all of that makes for a very bad movie.... Please, please please... remove the head of Lucasfilm and make sure Abrahms is never allowed near another SW or ST movie ever again... Bring back Gareth Edwards who did Rogue One and give him a trilogy of movies based on one character... Vader... because what I want to see is how Vader hunts down the remaining Jedi and we only got a glimpse of how great that would be in Rogue One.

But to leave on a final positive note about RoSW.... It was very nice to see Wedge in there... and it was nice to see Chewie get his medal... the rest.... was shite.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm always grateful for at least a new movie from S.W. universe no matter how bad it is, although it bothers me too when things deviate from the norms. You should watch "Mike Zero" on YT, the un-official news source of what's happening at LucasFilm et al, although he tends to repeat himself from video to video. He forecasts a positive future going forward with new leadership and projects coming.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:06 pm

I've been subscribed to a channel called Film Joy... or Movies with Mikey as it's also known for a few years... He does deep dives on movies including SW and ST and it's good to get an alternative viewpoint on things.... there are also channels like CinemaSins and CinemaWins for some fun and silly commentary on all kinds of movies.

I am now very nervous when I hear of a new movie... because it's tainted my view of them all now... I consider the skywalker saga shat upon from a great height and no longer worth bothering with... but at the same time, exploring the rest of the universe free from 'The Force' and Jedi has been the real refreshing part.

Disney fucked up bigtime by eliminating all of the cannon and are now desperately scabbling around trying to cherry pick parts of it and characters out to bolster their franchise because they don't have a single person in any position of authority who actually cares about the product and has a passion for what's been created. That needs to change... find some one who has the passion of Kevin Feige over at Marvel... because even thought they're producing cookie cutter films... they're doing it in a way that works, pays homage to the universe and has proven to be a success over the last 12 yrs.

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 am

Vomit

Okay, now that that is out of the way. They stole my idea for the Tie Dagger. I designed that waaaaaaaay back when during the Datamaster days and the early OPT Project on Holonet time. Not even a passing mention in the credits...Damn mouse...
Fuck the General

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 am

It does have the honor of having the worst line all of Star Wars, namely "Somehow Palpatine returned."

But yeah, it's awful. I like both TFA and TLJ (though both have flaws), but TROS is an absolute shit show. I don't hate it (I can't hate anything SW), and if I tune out anything else, it's an enjoyable movie. But then I remember it's a Star Wars movie and an ending to the the so-called Skywalker saga (at least that's how Disney marketed it) and I feel annoyed with so many things in this movie.

Edit: I'd also encourage a mod to merge this with the TROS thread we already have.

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:31 am

I'd prefer my post to not get lost in another deep thread. I post so rarely...
Fuck the General

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:51 am

so what? You knew there was a thread for Episode IX but decided to create another one for what? Attention?
Sorry, not gonna happen. Merging this with the ROS thread.

Oh and you wanna duke it out with EC Henry who of you came up first with that TIE Concept before they stole it.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:12 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:51 am
so what? You knew there was a thread for Episode IX but decided to create another one for what? Attention?
Sorry, not gonna happen. Merging this with the ROS thread.

Oh and you wanna duke it out with EC Henry who of you came up first with that TIE Concept before they stole it.
The Dagger is probably based on this concept art for TFA, so it pre-dates EC Henry's design.

https://i.redd.it/iy9yte39xpt21.jpg

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 pm

You got a problem, Trag? I had no hostility in my post to anyone here, yet you come out with your chest all out? Are you having a bad day or something?

Also, my design was made back in 2000...that early enough for you?
Fuck the General

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 pm

This has nothing to do with hostility, just some housekeeping.

You were about to start another thread to ramble about the latest SW movie and how you dislike. We already have one of those, and that one's more than enough. By your own argumentation, you wanted everybody to see how you hate the movie rather than join in the Episode 9 rant thread. I call that want for attention. And reasoning with "I post so rarely" is hardly sufficient to warrant an additional thread on the same topic.

Of course, you're welcome to try and sue the big evil corporation for stealing your design. Good luck with that.

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:14 pm

More snide remarks. Feeling better yet? Have a beer, dude, I know staying at home is taxing, but c'mon.
Fuck the General

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Funny you should think that way. The whole "affair" was done and out of my head the moment I merged the threads. As far as I'm concerned, you brought it up and made it an issue. Feeling mistreated?

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm

No, General. The last time I was at these boards is when I posted that thread. I just now saw your response, so I replied. I replied because of how you responded to me. Am I not allowed to do that? Every single response you've given me so far you just can't help yourself and give some sort of snide little comment? Feeling mistreated? Seriously?

I think you should definitely have that beer.

This will be my last post here, so you can flame away if you want now.
Fuck the General

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Calm down and both of you have a beer :) It's hardly making a fuss about, I think we all have bigger things to worry about at the moment.

We're all big boys now, so come on shake hands (hmm.. perhaps not) Shake metaphoric hands and play nice.

GT Sheldon, deserves a little more respect, he was one of the founding members of Datamaster's I think?? Well he was a bigwig on there
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station