Bug Reports

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

Re: Bug Reports

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:28 am

AngeI wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:17 pm
Snoopy2021 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:17 pm
Could you please stop giving me orders? If I would have listened to you, I would have reinstalled XWA, XWAU, TFTC, bought newest windows and spend 1-2 days for all the installation. How about YOU LOOK FOR THE BUG IN THE CODE? Why do you open a bug-reports-thread when you don't care at all?
We are giving you suggestions, not orders. If anything you are the one who is coming here and demanding we fix things to your exact standards. For TFTC, 99% of our bug reports, discussions of issues, interactions with the community and how to fix them are done on our Discord server, not here.

Again we work on this with our free time as we can, only two people here are capable of even looking at/fixing that kind of code and they have their hands full with other projects and real life. If they can find something they will and I'm sure its been noted by them at this point. But don't expect it to be fixed any time soon if at all considering - as we have already stated - we are not really supporting older OS anymore. It is ultimately up to those two coding engineers if they fix it or not or are prepared to invest the time and effort to fix this. Please accept this fact and move on. We owe you nothing, we have encouraged you to help us, not berate us.

If you feel this locks out a significant player base, that is your prerogative, but frankly you are perhaps the first and only person (that I've seen) to come here and really complain about this issue, to such a specific degree and with this unpleasant, antagonistic attitude and I wish you could see that. This is ultimately a community driven project, that means we rely on the community to develop tools, make models, write missions, understand code and contribute to the greater whole.
Is there any way for other engineers that are also fans to look at and contribute changes/Pull Requests to the code? I know that XWAU is closed source and I assume that TFTC is also closed source. That said, a core of this issue with what @Snoopy2021 was complaining about isn't just with this project. The reality is that DXVK is needed for decent performance on DX11 games, including mods that utilize it, and the DXVK dev has stated multiple times that the main project is focused only on core DX9/10/11 API calls and translating those to Vulkan. Specific workarounds/hacks that mods (for any game, not just this one) that manipulate directx calls will not be supported as they are already "hacks" and cast too wide of a net for him to account for in the DXVK project.

As such, @Snoopy2021, you need to take your complaints up with the DXVK project OR fork that project and add the necessary API calls yourself.

That said, some of the issues I run into as the maintainer of the Lutris installers for XWAU and TFTC would be to use .NET 5/6 or Qt for the UI framework on the installers instead of .NET Framework 4.x as those have notorious compatibility issues with WINE/Proton/Steam Play:
Below are a few recommendations around areas that have been known to be Proton compatibility issues and likely to induce delays in Proton fully supporting a given title after it launches on Steam:

* .NET / WPF: Our recommendation is to use standalone technologies like Qt for launchers instead of OS-dependent frameworks like .NET / WPF. For best results, skip separate launchers altogether and integrate their functionality into the game client UI instead, where controller support is likely better.
Some of these issues theoretically could be solved by open sourcing the XWAU and TFTC mods. While there ARE successful closed source ports/engines/mods for older games (these two being among some of the most popular), a vast majority of the ones I use and have seen that are successful are either Open Source (and thus have massive amounts of community dev support and don't have to rely on just 2 engineers) or the mod/engine frameworks are designed in a way that do not allow for true "closed source" mods.... again allowing others to come in and provide additional support to the maintainers.

Just my two cents overall, but @Snoopy2021 your attitude wouldn't be tolerated in ANY project I've been apart of.
Last edited by dhollinger3 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:24 am

@dhollinger3 XWAU and TFTC use custom dll hooks that translate the calls to DX11 and add functionalities. These hooks are open source (https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_hooks ) and can be forked.

That said, some of the hooks are forked by @blue_max , and I don't know if those are on github
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:48 pm

This is the effects ddraw by @blue_max (which also implements stereo rendering for VR and 3D support):
https://github.com/Prof-Butts/xwa_ddraw_d3d11

This is the CockpitLook hook that implements headtracking for VR/TrackIR and also cockpit inertia:
https://github.com/Prof-Butts/Hook_XWACockpitLook

Here you have the golden ddraw from @JeremyaFr :
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11

And here you have most if not all of the hooks from @JeremyaFr as mentioned by @Rookie_One1 :
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_hooks

So if you have the energy to contribute, anyone is very welcome to do so 👍. I don't have the knowledge or dedication of those 2 gurus but whenever I had time, I did contribute some PR's that were quickly reviewed and merged.

It may be a bit difficult to understand how things work at first, but I always got very good answers and guidance from the main community contributors that allowed me to go through the learning curve.

I can help you with setting up the Visual Studio development environment, as it may not be straightforward.

I recently got a SteamDeck so I'm interested in making XWA work with it. I will try to get some more detailed logs of the current incompatibility when I have the time.

CGordini
Recruit

Post by CGordini » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:38 am

Hate interrupting a flow, but I have a bug and wasn't sure where to put it.

TFTC 1.3.2

The *entire rest of the game* is fine, but in the Mission Briefings and in the Main Lobby/selection menu, I get XWA voice-overs. I hear the robot calling out for Azzamine, the mission previews talk about the Liberty and going after TIE prototypes...

It's very annoying, that's all. I'm sure I messed up something somewhere. Not sure where or what best to do.

It was a fresh install of XWA + the 5.0 pack + TFTC 1.3 + TFTC 1.3.2.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:42 pm

CGordini wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:38 am
Hate interrupting a flow, but I have a bug and wasn't sure where to put it.

TFTC 1.3.2

The *entire rest of the game* is fine, but in the Mission Briefings and in the Main Lobby/selection menu, I get XWA voice-overs. I hear the robot calling out for Azzamine, the mission previews talk about the Liberty and going after TIE prototypes...

It's very annoying, that's all. I'm sure I messed up something somewhere. Not sure where or what best to do.

It was a fresh install of XWA + the 5.0 pack + TFTC 1.3 + TFTC 1.3.2.
Hello, you do not need to install the update 5.0/5.5 patches separately, they are included in the TFTC 1.3 installer. The correct install progression is XWA -> XWAU Mega Patch -> TFTC 1.3 > TFTC 1.3.2.

To me it sounds like either the installer didn't finish properly (check you have sufficient C: space) or the converter hasn't properly written files across to replace sound effects, briefings etc. Our Discord server is our main method of support, you can join here and request further help if needed or just respond here and I'll get back to you when I can :)

CGordini
Recruit

Post by CGordini » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:24 pm

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I did reinstall everything successfully.

The biggest catch was having to run Palpatine Total Conversion and tell it to load a conversion, when I didn't know/think I had to.

Thanks, Angel. I know your job is relatively thankless, and I do appreciate you! 💜

Knight26
Ensign

Post by Knight26 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:45 am

Just installed and immediately tried in VR. I am using an Oculus Rift-S and and selected SteamVR in Babu Frik. As soon as the game launches into VR I lose all sound. If I launch in normal mode, there is no issue, but I have no sound at all in VR. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
I tried switching the audio in SteamVR over to my external speakers. I got sound, but as soon as I went into the game the game started hanging. Switching VR off in BF gave the same in game hanging issue. So, it sounds like a sound issue. How do I correct that?
S. Schauer<BR>Flight Test Engineer<BR>C-17 DOOE, 418th FLTS<BR>AFFTC, Edwards AFB

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:43 am

Hello,

I never had this issue either with native PCVR hmd (Rift CV1) or with Quest2 through streaming (Link, AirLink, VirtualDesktop).
I sometimes don't get the sound in the device I want, but that is easily fixed configuring it as default in Windows.

SteamVR has some options to automatically switch the default Windows sound device when it is launched. That may have been one root cause, with the sound being sent to a device you had muted, or some headphones.

Can you give more details about the "hang"? Did it crash to desktop? Just froze? Did the sound enter a loop?
If it's kind of a loop, I want to remember I had something similar when I tried mirroring the audio with SteamVR in both the VR headset and the speakers. You probably want to disable audio mirroring in SteamVR and Oculus software, and configure your external speakers to 2.0. I had problems with surround sound devices.

Also, it's usually better to launch SteamVR separately before launching the game, but I doubt this is the root cause of your issue.

Is this happening only for TFTC or also XWAU? If the latter, you may be better opening a new thread in the Bug Reports section for XWAU, with some more information like:
- Game version (Steam, GOG, CD...)
- XWAU + TFTC version
- Hooks version (did you update them after installing XWAU and TFTC?)

Knight26
Ensign

Post by Knight26 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 pm

So, I restarted my oculus client and that fixed the whole problem. User error, sorry about that.
S. Schauer<BR>Flight Test Engineer<BR>C-17 DOOE, 418th FLTS<BR>AFFTC, Edwards AFB

franzxavier69
Recruit

Post by franzxavier69 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:42 pm

Under Classic, I can not complete the Red Alert Mission, after completing everything, after Hammer has arrived, everything green but still still states unresolved!? Any ideas here?

v0idshape
Recruit

Post by v0idshape » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:54 pm

B1M2 does not ever update to mission complete for me and therefor must be skipped. After each objective is complete it still says unresolved. This may have something to do with the station surviving set as an objective.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:03 pm

Hello, there is a quickfix available for B1M2 Classic in our Discord channel, as soon as I return from UK I will post these to our website.

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:52 am

i installed TFT_1.3.3 and the installtion works without errors.
The game (flying) also works great but i have one Problem.
In the concourde i see a mix of old and new images!
I the the new background and the animations but the clickable fieds (Door) are from the older version?
Can i change this without a new installtion of the game?
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:08 am

Ok now i managed to get the right Images.
I see now the new Background with the animations (Trooper, Stardestroyer..) and the new door animations.
But the door animations are not at the right place !
In which file is the place of the door pics stored ?

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:58 pm

Ok i Found the mistake.
the installation did not copy all the files in the Main directory
So i cpoied the files fom
..\XWingAlliance\TotalConverter\TFTC
to
..\XWingAlliance\TotalConverter\TFTC
and all is fine

TV4Fun
Recruit

Post by TV4Fun » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:50 am

B0M2, the TIE Interceptor training mission in Classic is bugged. Shuttle Yagmar are immediately hostile and start fighting with the platform as soon as they hyperspace in, rather than waiting until after you've inspected them. After you inspect Sunnida 1, transport Epsilon 2 only seems to only make one attack run on it before going into "Patrolling for targets" mode, so if you don't immediately get its shields down, it's impossible for it to be boarded.

Also, the briefings seem bugged for me. They start off in the Commander Briefing view with the commander's voice answering questions, but don't actually show the dialogue text (see attached screenshot). If I go to the Briefing Map, the commander's voice keeps playing over the briefing voice. If I then switch back to briefing view, I see the text of the commander's questions and answers, but then the audio from the Briefing Map keeps playing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darth_Flesh
Recruit

Post by Darth_Flesh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 pm

OBSOLETE:

Trouble in the capture Harkov mission 1b5m4tftc-R -even though he was captured (YT = no cargo) and the Xport got to the Devastator, the vic condition didn't trigger!
What FG / line / condition do I mod with AlliED to fix it?!?

I'm assuming it's in Xport Sigma?

text file version just sez 1.3

UPDATED TO 1.3.4

no problemo; mission works! Now to drag Harkov's sorry ass in front of LORD VADER.
To the billionth decimal place, Gravity = Expansion; therefore the Universe comes from NOTHING and there is no invisible magic skydaddy.

Just_A_Rookie
Recruit

Post by Just_A_Rookie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 pm

In Battle 3 the mission where you're flying Assault gunboat and need to defend the space station against torpedo attack has a bug.
There are two pirate transports named Maaser 1 and Maaser 2 that attack the station. They are invulnerable. I've got 3 or 4 wingman flying behind them all guns blazing but the transports just fly around with 1% of hull.
I don't know if you can complete the mission. After 15 minutes of nothing new happening I quit the mission.