PREVIEW: Effects ddraw 2.0 with enhanced GPU support

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: PREVIEW: Effects ddraw 2.0 with enhanced GPU support

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Thu May 26, 2022 10:29 pm

Hey guys I'm having this error with this ddraw, when loading into a mission.

Direct3DTexture:Load not enough memory resources available (or something like that I'm translating from spanish)
I tried older versions of DDRAW and It was running fine until you jump to lightspeed, then crashes with another error.

Someone knows? I'm running with a Intel Xe Graphics on my GPD win 3. It ran before but I deleted that xwa installation and I can't get any ddraw to work.

aidor
Cadet 4th Class

Post by aidor » Fri May 27, 2022 8:16 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:51 pm
It's recommended that you unzip the package and overwrite all the files, but the absolute minimum are ddraw.dll and Hook_CockpitLook.dll
Ok, thanks!!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 am

mabifield wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:29 pm

Direct3DTexture:Load not enough memory resources available (or something like that I'm translating from spanish)
I tried older versions of DDRAW and It was running fine until you jump to lightspeed, then crashes with another error.

Someone knows? I'm running with a Intel Xe Graphics on my GPD win 3. It ran before but I deleted that xwa installation and I can't get any ddraw to work.

I believe that error generally means that your graphics card isn't up to the job anymore.
My laptop ran XWAU fine for a while but now it's too old.

You can use the search function on the forum as I think others had this issue.
Also reinstall the game and stop at Update 5 if it worked before.
But from Update 6 you will get the same issues I'm afraid as we move to this new version
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

aidor
Cadet 4th Class

Post by aidor » Fri May 27, 2022 4:19 pm

After installing everything and setting all the proper settings to my taste, I must say that you guys have made and incredible work here. I've played a little XWA-upgrade back in 2011-2012, and the improvements since then are incredible. And this is a game still really fun to play, and with all this upgraded graphics and features... well, incredible. Many thanks!

PD: is there any way to turn off the 'bip bip...' sound when you are aiming an objetive? With the reticle turning green/red is enough.

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 am
mabifield wrote:

I believe that error generally means that your graphics card isn't up to the job anymore.

But from Update 6 you will get the same issues I'm afraid as we move to this new version
Thanks for the info! It's a bit sad, but I'll work that way, even tho, could you tell me if it's any registry of ddraw releases to test myself, or it's just private.

Thanks again for the outstanding work ^^

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 pm

mabifield wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 am
mabifield wrote:

Thanks for the info! It's a bit sad, but I'll work that way, even tho, could you tell me if it's any registry of ddraw releases to test myself, or it's just private.

Thanks again for the outstanding work ^^
@blue_max maybe able to help with that.
As I said though do a forum search as I maybe wrong but if it's a basic graphics card it will struggle anyway

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 pm

mabifield wrote:
Do you remember what versions of ddraw worked? This might help figure out what has changed since then.
The error message can mean a number of things. Maybe you're trying a very high resolution, or activating too many effects, or it could be a bug :)
Have you tried Jeremy's latest ddraw just to see if that works? It's in the Downloads section.
I'm running with a Intel Xe Graphics on my GPD win 3. It ran before but I deleted that xwa installation and I can't get any ddraw to work.
Let's try a fresh installation using Jeremy's ddraw. You can also install this version through the Babu Frik configurator by disabling all the effects

I'd never heard of "GPD Win 3" before. You mean you're running XWA on this?

https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwin3

In other words a handheld console (with the gratuitous words "slider candy bar" added for good measure) powered by Intel?

You know, if you could slap in a VR visor, perhaps something like Google Cardboard in there, and then activated DirectSBS, you _might_ be able to play in VR. But of course, we need to get you up and running first :)

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm

Do you remember what versions of ddraw worked? This might help figure out what has changed since then.
The error message can mean a number of things. Maybe you're trying a very high resolution, or activating too many effects, or it could be a bug :)
Have you tried Jeremy's latest ddraw just to see if that works? It's in the Downloads section.
Well I think it was the build of 12-march-2022, For my main computer on VR worked flawlessly and for my GPD win 3 it ran at 60fps all the effects fine, sadly I don't have that ddraw now to test.
Then I didn't used xwa until this lastest build on 18-05-2022 I think.
I'd never heard of "GPD Win 3" before. You mean you're running XWA on this?

https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwin3

In other words a handheld console (with the gratuitous words "slider candy bar" added for good measure) powered by Intel?
Yeah, it's my main handheld, and it's really nice to play there, sadly it costs a lot and is not perfect, but I like it, It's like the new Steam Deck but with Stock Windows 10 and another things.
You know, if you could slap in a VR visor, perhaps something like Google Cardboard in there, and then activated DirectSBS, you _might_ be able to play in VR. But of course, we need to get you up and running first :)
It could be, but I have my main PC for that hahaha, thanks for the answer blue_max :)

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Fri May 27, 2022 10:35 pm

@blue_max maybe able to help with that.
As I said though do a forum search as I maybe wrong but if it's a basic graphics card it will struggle anyway
Nah the iris XE packs a punch being a integrated graphics, it ran 60fps 720p, but I don't know why it isn't working now, when on march did ran fine :P

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 pm

mabifield wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm
Well I think it was the build of 12-march-2022, For my main computer on VR worked flawlessly and for my GPD win 3 it ran at 60fps all the effects fine, sadly I don't have that ddraw now to test.
Then I didn't used xwa until this lastest build on 18-05-2022 I think.
I can probably get you that build again. I assume you went through the steps to configure ddraw 2.0 as described in the first post of this thread, right?

But first, you should be able to get Jeremy's golden ddraw working. If that doesn't work, then it might be the drivers or something else.
Yeah, it's my main handheld, and it's really nice to play there, sadly it costs a lot and is not perfect, but I like it, It's like the new Steam Deck but with Stock Windows 10 and another things.
Interesting! I'm starting to change my opinion on Intel's GPUs.
It could be, but I have my main PC for that hahaha, thanks for the answer blue_max :)
Nevermind, then! :D

So, the next step here is to get your handheld working with Jeremy's ddraw. Let us know how that goes, please.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 pm

mabifield wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:35 pm
This is the Ddraw for Blue Max's effects that is included in Update 5.
So officially the current release not in Beta.
This was released in November until the Beta version in this topic.

ddraw-Update5.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Sat May 28, 2022 6:32 pm

Jeremy's golden ddraw
I'm sorry I don't understand what ddraw is that haha
I'm starting to change my opinion on Intel's GPUs.
Well drivers are their main problem, but even with that it's a solid igpu.
So, the next step here is to get your handheld working with Jeremy's ddraw. Let us know how that goes, please.
I'm installing the megapack right now, I'll test if it works now, then with the update 5, then with ace_antilles DDRAW, and I'll tell you.

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Sat May 28, 2022 6:48 pm

Okay @blue_max, tested:
Megapack only -> working, performance not well at all
Effects 5.0 -> not working
Effects 5 Version 2 -> not working (same error)
Ace_antilles DDraw -> Not working (same)

I have looked for the same error but it isn't a lot out there :/
If you have the build of march of this year, and I have the same error then maybe I could know what is happening

Anyways, you guys are helping me a lot.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat May 28, 2022 6:57 pm

@mabifield The 'golden' DDraw from Jeremya can be found here:
GitHub
This is basically all of the enhancements but none of the effects. You could see if that will work or not.

Unfortunately I do not have Max's DDraw Beta from March, but there is one from early April still on the server:
EffectsByBlueMax2_beta_v2022-04-06
You could also try this one and see if it works.,
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:57 pm
@mabifield The 'golden' DDraw from Jeremya can be found here:
GitHub
This is basically all of the enhancements but none of the effects. You could see if that will work or not.

Unfortunately I do not have Max's DDraw Beta from March, but there is one from early April still on the server:
EffectsByBlueMax2_beta_v2022-04-06
You could also try this one and see if it works.,
I tried the golden DDraw and it's working!!

I'll experiment with some of the enhancements till explode, thanks for the help guys!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 30, 2022 4:40 am

mabifield wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm

I'll experiment with some of the enhancements till explode, thanks for the help guys!
Alright, if you've got Jeremy's ddraw working, then the latest beta 2.0 from the Downloads page should also work. But here are some of the older versions from March 2022 in case you want to try them too:
ddraw-2.0-Mar-12-2022.zip
ddraw-2.0-Mar-22-2022.zip
Let us know how that goes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mabifield
Cadet 4th Class

Post by mabifield » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:49 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:40 am
mabifield wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm

Alright, if you've got Jeremy's ddraw working, then the latest beta 2.0 from the Downloads page should also work. But here are some of the older versions from March 2022 in case you want to try them too:

ddraw-2.0-Mar-12-2022.zip

ddraw-2.0-Mar-22-2022.zip

Let us know how that goes!
These two are crashing with the same Direct3DTexture::Load, is strange, It should work, but, no :c
I can't find nothing with that error, I'll let the exact error right here:

Direct3DTexture::Load

No hay suficientes recursos de memoria disponibles para completar esta operación
"There isn't enough memory resources available to complete this operation" (translated by me)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:04 am

mabifield wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:49 pm
These two are crashing with the same Direct3DTexture::Load, is strange, It should work, but, no :c
The error message you posted can mean a number of things. You said things are working fine with Jeremy's ddraw, right? Let's check the following:

* You should have only one "ddraw.dll" in your XWA directory. If you have two files with the same extension, like "ddraw1.dll" and "ddraw2.dll" that might cause problems. Same goes for all the other DLLs in there. For instance, if you have "Hook_CockpitLook.dll" and "Hook_CockpitLook2.dll" that's going to cause trouble. You can rename the extensions to ".dl_" to avoid this problem.

* Send me all your .cfg files and your Hooks.ini -- there may be some clues in there.

* Send me a crash dump of XWA. When an app crashes, it will automatically create crash dump files under %localappdata%\crashdumps. Just type that in your Windows Explorer. You'll see some files with names like "XwingAlliance.exe.XXXX.dmp". Delete all the *.dmp files, run XWA again to cause a new crash, and send me the .dmp file it will create.

* Did you change anything in the Babu Frik configurator recently? For instance, did you enable MSAA or some other effect that was disabled before?

You can PM me a link to download these files, or just PM me and we can find a way to transfer the relevant files :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:03 pm

@blue_max posting here ref the earlier Discord update.
I can't recreate the same issues as before. But some lighting does seem very high on the ships. If I turn it goes back to normal though. But some reflections on hangar ships may seem a little off.

An example. I actually think in some cases the suns are too bright
Screenshot 2022-06-02 164754.jpg

It does look like the scissor effect is ok now.
The map wireframe comes and goes though. If you zoom in and out it will change
Screenshot 2022-06-02 165137.jpg

So overall a good improvement anyway :)

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:38 am

Could also turn down brightness in the game's video menu. Lens flare intensity is also manually controlled in the SSAO.cfg file I believe.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

marcelo999
Cadet 4th Class

Post by marcelo999 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:38 am

Hello:
I have windows 7 64 and with ddraw 2.0 it didn't work for me, crash when returning to briefing, not being able to finish the mission.
After trying everything not finding the fault and when I was about to give up, I found a solution, you have to run the game in compatibility mode with windows 7 and it works.

I hope it's useful, see you later.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:38 pm

marcelo999 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:38 am
Hello:
I have windows 7 64 and with ddraw 2.0 it didn't work for me, crash when returning to briefing, not being able to finish the mission.
After trying everything not finding the fault and when I was about to give up, I found a solution, you have to run the game in compatibility mode with windows 7 and it works.

I hope it's useful, see you later.
Thanks for the info. Sadly it's really hard to continue supporting Windows 7 easily lately.
Glad you got it working.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:41 pm

July 2022: This new effects release is now part of Update 5.5.
You do NOT need to modify anything in game anymore. It will all be working once installed.

Future beta versions will be on the Downloads page as necessary.

On behalf of @blue_max and the whole XWAU team, thank you to everyone who did some testing and sent bug reports in.
It was extremely helpful. We salute you