Help with PSVR

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Help with PSVR

Mr. Phat
Recruit

Post by Mr. Phat » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Hello everybody and May the Force be with you!

First of all, I would like to congratulate and thank every single person involved in this project, it is trully amazing!
I can't believe that after almost 2 years I can actually experience this in VR!!!
And I am starting to believe that I will not...

I have spent almost 2 weeks trying to figure this out, read every related forum post, downloaded third party programmes, still nothing.
Here is the situation:

-First of all, my laptop is fully capable of running VR, so no issue there
-I am using a PSVR, that's the only thing my budget could stand
-Playing the Steam downloaded version of XWA
-Installed all available patches, plus extra effects package.
-Using Trinus PSVR for activating the headset

I have tried all different VR modes, each one failing for different reasons

-SteamVR -The game loads in the background, but I am stuck with the generic STeam VR screen saying "loading" or "up next"
Directs SBS VR - Loads fine, but seems that the POV is locked in the center. Even when using the mouse to freelook, it moves slightly and then moves right into the central position
TrackIR - Tracking works fine, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to run the game in SBS mode. Trinus box is checked, but it doesn't seem to work.

Again, I have tried everything I could find before posting this. But after two weeks I thought I should ask for help.

Thank you

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:31 pm

Mr. Phat wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:10 pm
I have tried all different VR modes, each one failing for different reasons
For the best experience, use TrinusVR, DirectSBS and FreePIE. You can also use SteamVR, but your performance will be worse.

* Set your desktop to 1920x1080
* In Trinus PSVR, do the following:
- Select VR Conversion mode, but when asked for a profile, just press ESC to ignore that.
- In the Reset View area, Assign the period key (".") as the reset key.
- Go to the Advanced Tab and select FreePIE Output: 0
* Install FreePIE from: https://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/
FreePIE is essentially the bridge between the tracking provided by TrinusPSVR and XWA, that's probably why you weren't
* Make sure the game runs on full screen and that your PSVR is detected as a second monitor.
* Configure your PSVR to mirror the contents of the desktop.

You can configure the DirectSBS mode through Babu Frik, but if that doesn't work, check the following:

* In VRParams.cfg, make sure you see "VR_Mode = DirectSBS"
* In CockpitLook.cfg set "tracker_type = FreePIE"

The DirectSBS mode doesn't work with ddraw 2.0 at the moment, so you'll have to use the version from the Downloads page for now.

You'll notice a little drift over time, but otherwise this should work

Mr. Phat
Recruit

Post by Mr. Phat » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:51 am

Thank you so much for your answer!
Will try and get back to you.

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:02 pm

With SteamVR I had the same issue. Running all programs as an administrator (steam, SteamVR and Alliance) fixed the issue for me. I don't know if it was coincidence that that worked but give it a shot.

Mr. Phat
Recruit

Post by Mr. Phat » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:54 am

After A LOT of trial and error, I managed to find a solution.
I will post it here in case it helps someone else in the future.

In Babu Frik I chose the DirectSBS, but as mentioned above, for some reason it is locked in the center position.
Then, I CockpitLook.cfg I set "tracker_type = TrackIR"

Now technically, it uses the PSVR as a mouse emulator or something similar, so by pressing Scroll Lock it works fine!
Plus it's much easier to locate the trackpad button on a laptop to center the position than the period key while wearing a headset.

Yeah I know it is kinda stupid, but as I say, it is not stupid if it works!

Now all I have to do is find a way to make the CMD and messages text readable!

Again, Thank you both for your suggestions!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:10 pm

Mr. Phat wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:54 am
In Babu Frik I chose the DirectSBS, but as mentioned above, for some reason it is locked in the center position.
Then, I CockpitLook.cfg I set "tracker_type = TrackIR"
I'm glad that you found a workaround, but are you sure your installation is not corrupt or something? This doesn't make sense to me. Which ddraw version are you using? Currently the DirectSBS mode is only supported in the version you get from the Downloads page.

Mr. Phat
Recruit

Post by Mr. Phat » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:01 pm

Yeah I know, makes very little sense to me too.
I guess somewhere in between the AMD GPU, Trinus, Playstation VR and all that, something was about to go wrong. My poor laptop does look like a madman's experiment right now.

Yes, I saw that the latest ddraw doesn't support VR so I didn't donwload it at all.
My installation is somewhat fresh, since I had already changed so many parameters here and there to make it work, that I wasn't sure about what's what anymore.

Again, if it wasn't for that auto-recentering issue, DirectSBS would be working fine. I was thinking tinkering with some option in the CockpitLook.cfg (for example enabling keyboard look and disabling auto-recentering when keys are not pressed) but since it is working right now, I will not mess with it anymore, I am more than happy!

Any suggestions about making the CMD, radio messages and goals visible? I tried what is written under the SteamVR topic, but nothing

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Mr. Phat wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:01 pm
Any suggestions about making the CMD, radio messages and goals visible? I tried what is written under the SteamVR topic, but nothing
Which cockpits are hard to read? Can you post a picture of what you're describing?

Mr. Phat
Recruit

Post by Mr. Phat » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:27 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:26 pm
Which cockpits are hard to read? Can you post a picture of what you're describing?
Pretty much all of them. I have restarted the campaign so I can play the whole thing in VR.

I would post a screenshot, but the text is pretty clear on the actual screen.
Tried taking a photo through the headset, but yeah that's pretty much impossible.

Unreadable text for me so far is:

-Radio messages, on the far left of the screen
-Name of target on the CMD looks ok, but it is impossible to read distance and cargo (the lower parts of the CMD)
-Mission goals on the far right of the screen

Things I have tried so far (and none work):

Different screen resolutions (if anything, that makes the matter worse)
Editing the DDraw.cfg as mentioned in other posts
Enabling the "use the mouse wheel to zoom" in Trinus, but it doesn't work at all
Changing the forward position in Trinus, no change
(last two actions because I thought if the POV was closer to the screen it might clear up a bit)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:54 pm

Mr. Phat wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:27 am
Different screen resolutions (if anything, that makes the matter worse)
Editing the DDraw.cfg as mentioned in other posts
Enabling the "use the mouse wheel to zoom" in Trinus, but it doesn't work at all
Changing the forward position in Trinus, no change
(last two actions because I thought if the POV was closer to the screen it might clear up a bit)
You can adjust the position of the seat on a craft-by-craft basis by pressing Shift+Arrow Keys. The position is automatically saved.

I think the problem here is the headset's resolution. If you had 6dof, you could just lean forward to "zoom in" into the different panels, but with the PSVR, that's a bit hard to do. You can also press D to bring up the original HUD -- that sometimes is easier to read in some cases. There's a keyboard lean option in CockpitLook.cfg, but I may need to tweak it to make it work like a "zoom" function in VR. That might help in your case. This is probably the easiest option for now. Give me a few days to see if I can do something here.

Probably another thing I can do is create additional floating displays in VR, just for cases like these. But I need to think more about this problem.