Reshade

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Reshade

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:01 am

does anyone else use reshade? I just recently discovered it and it is amazing. for those who dont know it allows you to inject all kinds of postprocessing effects into older games. ive been having a blast using it on older games including xwa. i got excited tweaking it making everything look perfect until i got into a mission and discovered that with reshade installed the game crashes whenever warheads hit a fighter even with all the reshade effects disabled.

after some googling i discovered that other people had been using reshade with xwa and it seemed like all the information in those threads was no longer relevant but i tried some things from those threads to correct the issue anyway to no avail. i tried disabling all the special effects via babu frik and that stopped the crashing but didnt look great to say the least. i got curious and decided to test reshade with earlier versions of xwau with the bluemax effects enabled and they worked up until the 5.1 beta. 5.0 doesnt crash but 5.1 and 5.5 do.

if anyone has encountered this issue please share your experience especially if you have a solution. also what other games if any do you use reshade on?
for now i will just enjoy reshade with my xwau5/tftc build and other old games like the jedi knight series

for the record some of the things i tried from older threads: enabling msaa and adding the line to the reshade.ini [DX11_BUFFER_DETECTION]
DepthBufferRetrievalMode=1

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:09 am

I think @labc133 uses it and yes there have been XWA crashes.
@blue_max may have more ideas about it.

I think I've used it in other games if there's been a mod available but don't really know a lot about it.
Are there any links to good versions for the Jedi games?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:41 pm

I’ve been using ReShade for a long while. It worked really nice before, but it really doesn’t like the effects v2.0—frequent random crashes and all. I haven’t really investigated a solution yet, aside from not using ReShade for now.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm

Leofus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:01 am
for the record some of the things i tried from older threads: enabling msaa and adding the line to the reshade.ini [DX11_BUFFER_DETECTION]
I don't know why ReShade stopped working, but I'm not sure you really need ReShade that much anymore :)

* You don't need to use MSAA from ReShade: Our system already supports MSAA and FXAA.
* You also don't need to do anything with the Depth Buffer either. Our effects already support VR, SSAO and SSDO.
* Bloom is also supported natively by our effects.
* I recently ported Levels.fx from ReShade into our system, so you can enable that too without ReShade.

If there are any shaders from ReShade you might be interested in seeing in our effects, let me know and I'll take a look. If it's not too complicated, I might end up porting the shader too. For now, the only thing I can think of that would be missing are the tone shaders.

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:01 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:09 am
I think @labc133 uses it and yes there have been XWA crashes.
@blue_max may have more ideas about it.

I think I've used it in other games if there's been a mod available but don't really know a lot about it.
Are there any links to good versions for the Jedi games?
i wasnt using a preset but i saved my settings to a preset for jedi outcast/academy. you are welcome to try it. i am using these settings with the 5.3 version from www.reshade.me

edit: oh yeah jedi outcast/academy is opengl btw. took me a minute to figure that out. i assumed it was directx8 or 9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Leofus on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm
Leofus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:01 am
I don't know why ReShade stopped working, but I'm not sure you really need ReShade that much anymore :)

* You don't need to use MSAA from ReShade: Our system already supports MSAA and FXAA.
* You also don't need to do anything with the Depth Buffer either. Our effects already support VR, SSAO and SSDO.
* Bloom is also supported natively by our effects.
* I recently ported Levels.fx from ReShade into our system, so you can enable that too without ReShade.

If there are any shaders from ReShade you might be interested in seeing in our effects, let me know and I'll take a look. If it's not too complicated, I might end up porting the shader too. For now, the only thing I can think of that would be missing are the tone shaders.
i wasnt enabling msaa for the effect i was saying i did it because of a suggestion in an old thread for solving reshade problems. personally though i dont have good luck with the msaa in xwau. it makes a white outline on everything for some reason and the higher the sample count the bigger it gets. i used to be able to apply my own msaa via the nvidia control panel but at some point that stopped working so now i use fxaa but not the one from xwau because it makes the stars too washed out.

i love lots of the other reshade effects. just off the top of my head i would want film grain2, godrays, motion blur, fake hdr.

the game is already looking pretty good but i was really enjoying the reshade effects before i discovered the crashes. it was looking stunning. its only when a warhead hits a fighter in frame that it crashes for me.

edit: big thanks btw for all the awesome work you have done upgrading this game @blue_max

edit2: using a 1080ti on windows 10

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:37 pm

Leofus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm
...the msaa in xwau. it makes a white outline on everything for some reason
This bug has been fixed in the latest ddraw beta. Are you using the latest version and still seeing this problem?
i love lots of the other reshade effects. just off the top of my head i would want film grain2, godrays, motion blur, fake hdr.
ddraw already supports HDR, but it most likely won't look the same. I'll take a look at the other shaders.
the game is already looking pretty good but i was really enjoying the reshade effects before i discovered the crashes. it was looking stunning. its only when a warhead hits a fighter in frame that it crashes for me.
Hold on, I thought ReShade didn't actually work _at all_ with the latest ddraw. Now it sounds like it works, but it crashes when a warhead hits any fighter? I assume you don't see this crash without ReShade, so maybe one of the shaders you have enabled in ReShade might be the culprit. What I'd suggest is that you make an in-game film with a warhead hitting a fighter (do this without ReShade so that it doesn't crash). Then enable ReShade and play back the film, disabling effects as you go until you find the culprit. That might give us some clues as to what's happening.
edit: big thanks btw for all the awesome work you have done upgrading this game @blue_max
It's been a team effort, and thanks :)

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm

i only get crashes with reshade when warheads hit fighters. besides that it seems to work fine. however this crash happens even with only the minimum reshade effects installed and all of the effects in reshade disabled. also the crashes do not occur with warhead impacts with reshade installed if all of the xwa special effects are disabled via babu frik but this looks like doodoo even with the reshade effects. i have tried disabling individual xwa effects but none of them prevent the crashing only disabling them all in babu frik will make reshade work with xwau 5.5

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Leofus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm
i only get crashes with reshade when warheads hit fighters. besides that it seems to work fine. however this crash happens even with only the minimum reshade effects installed and all of the effects in reshade disabled. also the crashes do not occur with warhead impacts with reshade installed if all of the xwa special effects are disabled via babu frik but this looks like doodoo even with the reshade effects. i have tried disabling individual xwa effects but none of them prevent the crashing only disabling them all in babu frik will make reshade work with xwau 5.5
Alright, thanks for the details. I was hoping maybe it was one of the ReShade effects that was causing the crash, but it looks like you already tried that. Bad luck then. I'll see if I can port some of the shaders you mentioned above in the near future.

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:22 pm
Leofus wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Alright, thanks for the details. I was hoping maybe it was one of the ReShade effects that was causing the crash, but it looks like you already tried that. Bad luck then. I'll see if I can port some of the shaders you mentioned above in the near future.
that would be amazing. ive been hoping someone would put filmgrain in for awhile. it really gives it a more cinematic look and helps hide visual flaws especially in lower res assets. godrays are also amazing when tweaked properly and are particularly suited to this game. while i was tweaking the settings i was mesmerized watching rays from the hangar lights passing through the closed sfoils of the shuttles as they land and take off from the hangar. also some engine glows produced some rays and it gave them a more animated looking effect. star destroyers looked especially beautiful with it
Last edited by Leofus on Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:41 am

didnt realize the white outline bug was fixed in the newest ddraw and i wasnt paying attention when i enabled msaa while troubleshooting reshade. i didnt even realize there was a new ddraw and turns out i didnt even have it. i just downloaded it and im going to try it out and probably try reshade again with the new ddraw to see if it has the same behavior. ill start with minimum effects installed and none enabled.

edit: i am still getting some white lines with it but they are reduced and reshade still crashes on warhead impact but also still seems to run otherwise. i must say that it seems to look better and run smoother.

another thing i forgot to mention sooner, reshade also crashes xwa if you open the reshade menu while ingame. opening the reshade menu is fine if you are on the escape menu ingame or concourse including flight library
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:23 am

blue_max wrote:
I admit, the only ReShade I’m really missing are the LUT and film grain shaders.
— Hobbie Klivian

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:39 pm

DarHan wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:23 am
blue_max wrote:
I admit, the only ReShade I’m really missing are the LUT and film grain shaders.
so that is 2 votes for film grain. thanks for that :p i think i need to make a video and take some pics to sell you guys on the godrays

edit: @Ace Antilles in case that other jedi outcast/academy preset was too subtle, here is one that is more obvious

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:23 pm

I retried ReShade today out of nostalgia.
It still crashes mid-mission with the effects Ddraw.
Oh well, nothing much lost.
— Hobbie Klivian

MechDonald
XWAU Member

Post by MechDonald » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:04 pm

Unfortunately, I can confirm this. The game crashes with Reshade enabled. It seems to be somehow related to the explosions, since the crashes always occur when something explodes. But not always. The error occurs sporadically. Maybe it has something to do with switching to the alternate explosion files?