HUD Alpha blending

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

HUD Alpha blending

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:24 pm

hi,

I was working on HUD bitmaps and I noticed HUD bitmap has diferent alpha blending while in cockpit. As you can see in the image bellow, while in the cockpit the HUD appear darker with dark edges, if our spacecraft explode the game switch to some another render mode, and, the HUD appear "as usual". The darker HUD remind me like premultiplied alpha mistake... Is this intended ? Is there an option to choose alpha blending for HUD ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:56 pm

sedenion wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:24 pm
I was working on HUD bitmaps and I noticed HUD bitmap has diferent alpha blending while in cockpit.
The first thing we need to check is if this happens with Jeremy's ddraw. Basically, use Babu Frik to disable the effects and check what the HUD looks like. I suspect this is a bug in my ddraw.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:31 am

blue_max wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:56 pm
The first thing we need to check is if this happens with Jeremy's ddraw. Basically, use Babu Frik to disable the effects and check what the HUD looks like. I suspect this is a bug in my ddraw.
Just tested and I confirm the HUD alpha blending is correct using Jemery's Ddraw. I don't know if bitmaps in DAT files are stored with premultiplied alpha, but this darkish and dark-edge render indeed appear like result of alpha double product due to image with premultiplied alpha treated as normal image. Anyway this is an alpha blending equation related. Notice that I think this also affect the text alpha blending...