Requesting permission to port XWAU models to SWGEmu

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Requesting permission to port XWAU models to SWGEmu

Aervain
Recruit

Post by Aervain » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Hello,

I've been following this project for a long time and have been glad to see the continual efforts to improve X-Wing Alliance along with the innovations you've come up with to add features into the game that the developers couldn't dream of back when this game was released.

I recently joined an SWGEmu (Star Wars Galaxies Emulator) server and wanted to try to help the owner and team for that server develop new content, particularly making more ships and droids available to the players and as decoration for building new areas.

The combination of my own 3D art skills and personal art style are not well suited to recreate Star Wars ships on a similar level of detail as SWG, so I'm looking at porting over models until they can find a dedicated 3D artist. I took a look at some of the XWA Upgrade models and they've reached a point where I think they wouldn't look out of place in SWG, especially as player flyable ships have full cockpits modeled. I reached out to Forceflow and he told me I would need to reach out to the artists individually, so I thought I would make a post here to start the process of reaching out.

I'm working with the owner of that server, who is developing tools for expanding SWG, by helping him with porting over the Assault Gunboat model (Empire needs ships that can actually land,) but it will not be pushed into the game environment without permission of its creator. I plan to package these ship models up in a form where they can be used in other SWGEmu servers, not only his server, but only if permission for that is granted.

I'm not officially part of the team for any SWGEmu server or the project itself. I'm just a user on one server, whose owner develops tools for SWGEmu, who wanted to try to help out. Just because I'd like to see a few more ships and droids added to the game.

These are some of the ships I'm interested in, if the artists are available to provide permission:
- Pretty much everything listed under General Starfighters except the Firespray, T-Wing and Z-95 (since those are already in SWG)
- Assault Gunboat
- Missile Boat
- YT-2000 (planning to model full interior)
- TIE Avenger
- TIE Experimentals (specifically M2, M3 and M5)
- Modified Nebulon-B Frigate

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:23 am

Sorry, but I cannot give this kind of authorisation: we require a number of requirements, such as model accreditation and distribution control, which you are unable to guarantee in this case. You can make personal use of the models, but not share them freely.

Aervain
Recruit

Post by Aervain » Fri May 12, 2023 12:00 am

DTM wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:23 am
Sorry, but I cannot give this kind of authorisation: we require a number of requirements, such as model accreditation and distribution control, which you are unable to guarantee in this case. You can make personal use of the models, but not share them freely.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did kind of stumble into this as I've never asked for permissions like this before.

As far as distribution control, is it my preference for making these available to all SWGEmu servers that is the problem? Or that I'm looking to have it added to an online distributed game client such as SWGEmu in the first place?

If they were only made available to this one server and proper accreditation of the models was given (likely on the item descriptions of the vehicles themselves as well as on the forums), would that be enough for these to be made available to this one specific server?