New Release: Naboo & Mandalorian Starfighter!

All things related to Ace's news sections, opts, missions or files.

Moderator: Ace Antilles

New Release: Naboo & Mandalorian Starfighter!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:56 am

New Release - This Is The Way!

Mandalorian N1 Starfighter.jpg

Greetings Pilots! After a very long time I can bring you a new release that I am hosting on my site.
@DTM has updated his Naboo Starfighter custom opt with the latest new features.

​​
Naboo.jpg

This version comes with the latest Dynamic Cockpit features: Damage effects, Shadow Mapping and Animations.
It also has new features that are available in future and Beta Effect releases: Beam effects and damage textures.
Myself, Ace Antilles, has also given the ship more personality with its unique laser, engines and flyby sounds.

Naboo Cockpit.jpg

Also there are multiple profile options. You can choose R2, R4 and R5 Astromech droids.
Plus you can use the grey Mando version as a Skin too if you wish.

But that’s not all! There’s also a brand new modified Mandalorian N-1 Starfighter optional profile!

Mandalorian.jpg

Now you can fly the new custom built N1 that Din Djarin flies in the TV show.
It even has a working SLAM system to achieve super speeds by pressing the K button.
The Mandalorian version has different statistics with increased speed, acceleration and shields.

There are multiple profile options. You can choose R2, R4 and R5 Astromech droids or just the empty bubble. (sorry no Grogu)

Naboo Starfighter Profiles.jpg

You can select this as your default ship in the installer or it can be setup as a Profile in custom missions.
If you re-run the installer you can use it to switch back and forth between the flyable ships. Or you can extract manual SHP files for custom installations.

This new ship is only compatible with the latest X-Wing Alliance Upgrade releases.
You should have the XWAU Mega Patch 2020 and Update 5.5 or later installed before you carry on with this install.
It is NOT designed to be used with an active install of the TIE Fighter Total Conversion (TFTC). If you do then it will corrupt the campaign missions. It’s recommended to have a duplicate game install to use for custom ships.

View the Readme documents for all the full details and there are more screenshots on my Starships download page.
The cockpit alone looks brilliant! Feel free to leave any comments here about this release.
I hope you all enjoy this joint effort and I hope I can release more stuff once the next XWA Upgrade is finished.

Download now from The X-Wing Outpost! https://www.xwingoutpost.com/

xwologo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:22 pm

uau Thank you very much, IMPRESIVE

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:31 pm

Wow. Great upgrade!
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:42 am

Looks great!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:14 am

Thank you guys 😎
The credit goes to @DTM for the model ofc.
I reworked the pilot head textures to give the Naboo pilot goggles 🥽 and sounds.

Hope everyone has fun with it 👍

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Here's a few more pics from the site to view easier.

Mando1.png
MandoCockpit.jpg
NabooHD.png
NabooSkins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Sun May 28, 2023 10:54 pm

This doesn't appear to be compatible with 5.6.2, or at least not with the R-22 installed at the same time. The R-22 seems to install and function okay when installed by itself on 5.6.2, but when I install the Naboo fighter afterward, the R-22 dynamic cockpit bugs out. Also, if I try to start a Skirmish with the Naboo Fighter and R-22 at the same time, the R-22 becomes a Naboo Fighter copying the player's armaments/settings. For example, player Naboo Fighter has missiles, AI R-22 doesn't, but then the opponent (designated "R-22") goes for a missile lock while flying the same ship as the player.

I presume it's due to the hooks included with this fighter overriding some of the 5.6.2 hooks? I hoped simply copying the backup XWingAlliance.exe would revert that but the same issue persists. Is there another way to get it to work?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 28, 2023 11:30 pm

Jorrel wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:54 pm
This doesn't appear to be compatible with 5.6.2, or at least not with the R-22 installed at the same time. The R-22 seems to install and function okay when installed by itself on 5.6.2, but when I install the Naboo fighter afterward, the R-22 dynamic cockpit bugs out. Also, if I try to start a Skirmish with the Naboo Fighter and R-22 at the same time, the R-22 becomes a Naboo Fighter copying the player's armaments/settings. For example, player Naboo Fighter has missiles, AI R-22 doesn't, but then the opponent (designated "R-22") goes for a missile lock while flying the same ship as the player.

I presume it's due to the hooks included with this fighter overriding some of the 5.6.2 hooks? I hoped simply copying the backup XWingAlliance.exe would revert that but the same issue persists. Is there another way to get it to work?
Thanks for reporting the issue. Are you installing the fighters with the installer or manually using MXVTED?
They should be compatible afaik but I admit I've not tried them together. I'm not sure why they would conflict if they are both using different slots.

The Hooks shouldn't be the issue as they will only overwrite if newer. So if you have 5.6.2 installed then the Hooks shouldn't install from these ships.

I'll have to take a look but sadly I've just finished a long break so my time is a bit more limited atm. I'll take a look asap.

My plan is to go back over all these mods to make them compatible with the next major XWAU release when it comes out.
There maybe a few changes but the new systems will allow more flexibility for mods too.

If you recover all the files in the backup folder from the installed ship then it should revert the game back to the normal 5.6.2

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Mon May 29, 2023 4:14 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:30 pm
Jorrel wrote:

Thanks for reporting the issue. Are you installing the fighters with the installer or manually using MXVTED?
They should be compatible afaik but I admit I've not tried them together. I'm not sure why they would conflict if they are both using different slots.

The Hooks shouldn't be the issue as they will only overwrite if newer. So if you have 5.6.2 installed then the Hooks shouldn't install from these ships.

I'll have to take a look but sadly I've just finished a long break so my time is a bit more limited atm. I'll take a look asap.

My plan is to go back over all these mods to make them compatible with the next major XWAU release when it comes out.
There maybe a few changes but the new systems will allow more flexibility for mods too.

If you recover all the files in the backup folder from the installed ship then it should revert the game back to the normal 5.6.2
Installing automatically. I usually use MXVTED but since these had the hull/skirmish images already in place I stuck to using the installer. After the first attempt I completely wiped the installation and started from scratch - like I said, R-22 worked fine by itself, but as soon as I installed the Naboo similar issues occurred, though were slightly different in some ways. Out of curiosity I reinstalled both again, but in reverse, and the opposite happened - the R-22 worked great, the Naboo fighter had all sorts of issues. This time I actually grabbed a screenshot for you, too.

In this image, there's two N-1 ships going against an R-41 - the friendly in my targeting screen is in the same flight group as me, but appears as an R-22 for some reason. Also, the body is moving like the astromech slot, the engine from the Mando version is present (I installed the stock N-1). Maybe a weird overlap in the .inis? I didn't see anything that would cause it, but <*shrug*>. One thing I did notice upon checking the differences between installs is that NabooN1Cockpit only installs a single .dc filed for the DynamicCockpit; all other instances show two files for each ship (.ac and .dc). R-22 has both, too.

There's no rush to correct, of course! Nothing broken beyond repair (or copying my backup folder and starting again), just thought it was odd behavior you might want to know about.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 am

It's been a long, long time since I've dabbled in adding new ships outside of craft packs like TFTC, but I used to regularly run into issues like this installing ships through MXvTED.

You'd install one ship into one slot, a second into another slot and then they'd end up sharing a model.

I don't remember exactly what caused it, unfortunately. I do remember moving away from MXvTED as a result.

I think it might have had something to do with the SPECNO.

Could you go to your X-Wing Alliance install folder, open up SHIPLIST.txt and find the entries for the N1 and the R-22 and just check to see if they have different !SPECIES_#! numbers?

Could you also go into the Flightmodels folder, open up Spacecraft0.lst in a text editor and confirm the N-1 and R22 are both present in that file?

I feel like there's a file somewhere that stores slot number, but I can't find it and I'm wondering if maybe it just writes straight to the .exe. If I think of it, I might ask you to check that.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm

Hello,
Instead of MXvTED you can use XwaWorkspaceEditor.

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:42 am

Will T wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 am
It's been a long, long time since I've dabbled in adding new ships outside of craft packs like TFTC, but I used to regularly run into issues like this installing ships through MXvTED.

You'd install one ship into one slot, a second into another slot and then they'd end up sharing a model.

I don't remember exactly what caused it, unfortunately. I do remember moving away from MXvTED as a result.

I think it might have had something to do with the SPECNO.

Could you go to your X-Wing Alliance install folder, open up SHIPLIST.txt and find the entries for the N1 and the R-22 and just check to see if they have different !SPECIES_#! numbers?

Could you also go into the Flightmodels folder, open up Spacecraft0.lst in a text editor and confirm the N-1 and R22 are both present in that file?

I feel like there's a file somewhere that stores slot number, but I can't find it and I'm wondering if maybe it just writes straight to the .exe. If I think of it, I might ask you to check that.
On the install I kept (Naboo installed first, R-22 installed second):

SHIPLIST.txt: R-22 is !SPECIES_201! Naboo is !SPECIES_184!. Both appear only once.

Spacecraft0.lst: Only R-22 appears, at the bottom of the list. I checked the backup folder for the install with only the Naboo fighter and NabooN1 appears at the bottom of the list. Instead of appending a line to the end of Spacecraft0.lst, it seems to be overwriting that entry?

To test, I added in the NabooN1 line manually to Spacecraft0.lst, and now the R-22 is broken and the N-1 works. Removing the line again reverts to the R-22 working and the N-1 being broken. I thought that might be the answer but apparently not.

I can root around in MXvTED for further investigation, if you'd like, or as JeremyaFr suggested,
JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm
Hello,
Instead of MXvTED you can use XwaWorkspaceEditor.
I haven't been using MXvTED at all for these ships up to this point, only the preprogrammed .exe installer, but I've also never tried XwaWorkspaceEditor, so I'm gonna play around with it and see what happens!

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:26 am

Jorrel wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:42 am

On the install I kept (Naboo installed first, R-22 installed second):

SHIPLIST.txt: R-22 is !SPECIES_201! Naboo is !SPECIES_184!. Both appear only once.

Spacecraft0.lst: Only R-22 appears, at the bottom of the list. I checked the backup folder for the install with only the Naboo fighter and NabooN1 appears at the bottom of the list. Instead of appending a line to the end of Spacecraft0.lst, it seems to be overwriting that entry?

To test, I added in the NabooN1 line manually to Spacecraft0.lst, and now the R-22 is broken and the N-1 works. Removing the line again reverts to the R-22 working and the N-1 being broken. I thought that might be the answer but apparently not.

I can root around in MXvTED for further investigation, if you'd like, or as JeremyaFr suggested,
Hmm, yeah this sounds fairly familiar.

Again, I don't remember the root cause for this or how to potentially fix it, but this sounds like the opt slot 'linking' problem I used to get some times.

As I said, it was one of the reasons I stopped using MXvTED so I'd definitely recommend moving to the WorkspaceEditor if you need to do anything manual.

Could you just check one thing in MXvTED, though? Could you go to both the R-22 and N-1 slots in turn, and take a look at the Opt tab for me? I want to see what OPT File they're both pointing to, and the OPT index number they're using.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:46 am

Will T wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:26 am
Hmm, yeah this sounds fairly familiar.

Again, I don't remember the root cause for this or how to potentially fix it, but this sounds like the opt slot 'linking' problem I used to get some times.

As I said, it was one of the reasons I stopped using MXvTED so I'd definitely recommend moving to the WorkspaceEditor if you need to do anything manual.

Could you just check one thing in MXvTED, though? Could you go to both the R-22 and N-1 slots in turn, and take a look at the Opt tab for me? I want to see what OPT File they're both pointing to, and the OPT index number they're using.
Sure! N-1 (slot 33) has the R-22 OPT with OPT index 154, R-22 (slot 87) also has the R-22 OPT at 154. I'm guessing that means each installer is updating Spacecraft0.lst at the same index instead of index n+1? I checked and slot 33's default OPT index is normally 154 (checked on a fresh install) and slot 87's default OPT index is normally 166. (If I get time tomorrow I'll play around some more with different non-installer .shps.)

Since I knew it's grabbing the same index, I tried adding it manually to the Spacecraft0.lst. It didn't change anything in MVxTED but that made each ship show up in WorkspaceEditor. I couldn't find anywhere to fix the index number there, though, so the ships were still subbing each other out.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:23 pm

Jorrel wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:46 am
Sure! N-1 (slot 33) has the R-22 OPT with OPT index 154, R-22 (slot 87) also has the R-22 OPT at 154. I'm guessing that means each installer is updating Spacecraft0.lst at the same index instead of index n+1? I checked and slot 33's default OPT index is normally 154 (checked on a fresh install) and slot 87's default OPT index is normally 166. (If I get time tomorrow I'll play around some more with different non-installer .shps.)

Since I knew it's grabbing the same index, I tried adding it manually to the Spacecraft0.lst. It didn't change anything in MVxTED but that made each ship show up in WorkspaceEditor. I couldn't find anywhere to fix the index number there, though, so the ships were still subbing each other out.
Ok I see the issue as you point out.
Both ships are being added to the last line Spacecraft0.lst which is 154.
This is fine when adding one ship but not using both together.
I think we've allowed room for this in future releases but it didn't cross my mind or DTMs I assume when making this.

I'll look at making a fix but it will mean you will need to reinstall any custom craft afterwards most likely.

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:23 pm
Ok I see the issue as you point out.
Both ships are being added to the last line Spacecraft0.lst which is 154.
This is fine when adding one ship but not using both together.
I think we've allowed room for this in future releases but it didn't cross my mind or DTMs I assume when making this.

I'll look at making a fix but it will mean you will need to reinstall any custom craft afterwards most likely.
Cool! Again, no worries... I've reinstalled/uninstalled/messed with my XWA installation directory so much over the last 10 years it's second nature at this point. Just happy you and the team have kept this alive for so long.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:12 pm

Jorrel wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:06 pm
Cool! Again, no worries... I've reinstalled/uninstalled/messed with my XWA installation directory so much over the last 10 years it's second nature at this point. Just happy you and the team have kept this alive for so long.
I've been making some tweaks to the A-wing today to bring it slightly up-to date.
I think I've found an acceptable way to fix the Spacecraft list issue.
Also going to look some new features to add to the A-wing.
Will probably need a few more days due to work before I can get it out.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:58 pm

Jorrel wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:06 pm
This is a tricky one to fix I'm finding.
I can make it work if they are installed in sequence. R22 - N1 etc.
I can make it work if the R22/N1 is installed only etc.
But if I make it to only install the N1 and another Opt is already using the Spacecraft 154 slot then it will mess that ship up.

This is the limitations of the installer program and the current Spacecraft LST.
I think it will need an XWAU patch to make it easy to install to other slots with different custom mods present, but I might have missed something

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:01 pm

Ace and DTM ... :applaus: :2thumbs: Love them both!!!

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:13 pm

Jorrel wrote:

Just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about this.
Just done some more testing and I haven't yet found the best way to fix this using an automated installer option.

I'll look into it again more once the major XWAU Updates are finished, but in the meantime using a manual install maybe the best, for more than one ship.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:45 pm

Quick update. Fixes have been found and updates are underway to make the ships compatible with Update 6.
I hope to release the new versions very soon :)

Mylesdubs
Recruit

Post by Mylesdubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:26 am

This is absolutely incredible!!! Do you also plan to release a RazorCrest in the future?