[Bug] Steam edition - Second Azameen Family mission cannot enter the hangar

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Bug] Steam edition - Second Azameen Family mission cannot enter the hangar

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:53 pm

Before I get into the bug I'm having I just wanted to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU. I absolutely love the work you guys have done here to make this almost quarter century old video game jawdroppingly awesome. YOU GUYS ROCK!

now the bad news...

Recently received my Steam Deck and when I saw XWA on sale for $4 I jumped on that offer too.

Did not find any good setup instructions for getting the upgrade packs installed on my Steam Deck but I have managed to do it. I can share the info I've pulled together as a tutorial for others who want to do this on their Steam Deck or on a Linux desktop running Steam. I ended up doing a Steam XWA install up on my PC as well to see if the issue was due to Steam Deck hardware or not but I had the exact same crash on the PC.

The mission I'm talking about specifically - Prologue: Family Business - Emon's lesson: Weapons

First mission had a couple visual glitches I happily ignored as I chased off the Viraxo but trying to start the next mission crashed back to desktop just as I was about to enter the hangar.

After many reinstall attempts on the Deck I decided to test using my Ubuntu PC which has a working wine version of XWAU that's a bit old at this point but does still work. Steam was already installed so I added XWA to the PC's Steam library and proceeded to apply all the upgrades.

I am only installing:
  1. XWAU2020.exe
  2. TFTC_1.3.exe
  3. TFTC_1.3.2.exe
Since I hope to destroy the galaxy in a Tie after I have saved it in an X-wing.

After a good hour or so of setup on the PC I experienced the exact same crash entering the hangar before mission 2. Unfortunately that box is off right now but I assume there is crash data I can share once I can get my hands on it.

If the game crashes please include the crash data. This can be found in the Event Viewer in Windows under the Application Section. Hopefully it's a similar operation under wine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In an attempt to workaround the problem I fired up the game using the Cheater pilot, went to single player in the flight simulator and was able to load mission #3 without any problems.

At this point I uninstalled and completely removed the XWA Steam install from my PC. Added the base XWA game back to PC Steam. Loaded the game, completed mission #2 and quit.

Moved back to my Steam Deck and was able to jump to mission #3 and inventory a whole bunch of cargo without any problems and look fantastic while I was doing it.

Not sure if other missions are going act up as well since I'm just getting started with XWAU on Steam but did want to report this issue and share the somewhat successful Steam Deck setup info.

The Steam install info I will polish up a bit and add here before I go anywhere near the tutorials section.

Steam deck:
Which version of the game are you running - Steam
where is the game installed to? - /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
Which OS are you running - SteamOS (Arch based by the look of things)
What (if any) additional installers do you have in place? If you remember please check the order in which they were installed. I did the 1-2-3 above in that order
Have you made sure to install the latest hooks with the Hook Setup Tool - I have not
If the game crashes please include the crash data. - will get this asap

PC
Which version of the game are you running - Steam
where is the game installed to? - /home/me/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
Which OS are you running - Ubuntu LTS (jammy - 22.04)
What (if any) additional installers do you have in place? If you remember please check the order in which they were installed. I did the 1-2-3 above in that order
Have you made sure to install the latest hooks with the Hook Setup Tool - also no
If the game crashes please include the crash data. - will get this asap

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 pm

This is my first go at a how-to on Steam Deck - tbh there are only 2 changes from Steam on a Linux PC and the Deck.

/home/deck -> /home/$USER

.local/share/Steam/steamapps/ -> .steam/debian-installation/steamapps

I can include some screenshots and things but other then winecfg and the dotnet installers it's all done via command line.

#################
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2386287653 - where the special dotnet sauce came from

# Install XWA in steam using default proton version. Run the game once to make sure it's updated.

# Prepare for dotnet installation.

# Get ready to run the reset command about a thousand times
# Pretty much every switch between protontricks shell and your regular shell - reset

# Uninstall mono

# Commands shown like directly below should be run in a normal shell - sh-5.1$ - indicates commands which should be run within the protontricks shell

protontricks 361670 shell

sh-5.1$ wine uninstaller - remove mono 7.4.0 - if this fails just uninstall the game and try again.
sh-5.1$ exit

# clear out the existing symlinks / files that will prevent dotnet install from completing.

cd .local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/361670/pfx

rm -rf drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET
rm drive_c/windows/system32/mscoree.dll
rm drive_c/windows/syswow64/mscoree.dll
rm drive_c/windows/system32/openal32.dll
rm drive_c/windows/syswow64/openal32.dll
rm drive_c/windows/system32/dxva2.dll
rm drive_c/windows/syswow64/dxva2.dll
rm drive_c/windows/system32/evr.dll
rm drive_c/windows/syswow64/evr.dll
rm drive_c/windows/system32/uiautomationcore.dll
rm drive_c/windows/syswow64/uiautomationcore.dll

# this may just start winecfg - set default OS to Windows XP if it does
protontricks 361670 winecfg -v winxp64

# Time to finally install dotnet - Had a much better success rate downloading the installers and running them via wine instead of using winetricks to do the install.

# Grab dotnet installers
cd ~/Downloads/
wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 86_x64.exe
wget https://download.visualstudio.microsoft ... os-enu.exe

# Install dotnet40

sh-5.1$ WINEDLLOVERRIDES="*fusion=b" WINEDEBUG=+tid,err+all,fixme-all,-loaddll wine /home/deck/Downloads/dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

# this may just start winecfg - set default OS to Windows 7 if it does
protontricks 361670 winecfg -v win7

# Install dotnet48

sh-5.1$ WINEDLLOVERRIDES="*fusion=b" WINEDEBUG=+tid,err+all,fixme-all,-loaddll wine /home/deck/Downloads/ndp48-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe

# Windows wants to reboot after installing dotnet48 - I think I did but it probably doesn't matter

# this may just start winecfg - set default OS to Windows 10 if it does
protontricks 361670 winecfg -v win10

# need this or the XWAU installer exits with an error
protontricks 361670 d3dcompiler_47

# At this point we can finally install XWAU2020.exe - the window that opens may be all black - just tab around or minimize and restore and it should show something
# All the patch installers do this. Just ignore it and power through.

sh-5.1$ wine /home/deck/Downloads/XWAU2020.exe

# The next hurdle to clear is the TFTC install will fail because it is ridiculously large and will complain there is not enough space.

# Sneaky trick is to give a new drive letter to wine which is a link to game folder. This will allow the TFTC installer to complete.

cd /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/361670/pfx/dosdevices
ln -s /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common g:

# Now we can run TFTC_1.3.exe and point it at G:\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance

sh-5.1$ wine /home/deck/Downloads/TFTC_1.3/TFTC_1.3.exe

# Run the latest point release of TFTC. Installer isn't stupid large like the first monster so drive letter workaround is not needed.

wine /home/deck/Downloads/TFTC_1.3.2/TFTC_1.3.2.exe

protontricks 361670 winecfg

# Add overrides for Babu - Palpatine - XwaJoystick and main exectable alliance.exe - Babu and Palpatine are in the TotalConverter dir

# d3d9 set to builtin for all of the above

# once done you can remove g:

rm g\:

# also had to remove a bunch of stuff that was in the way for directplay install to complete

cd .local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/361670/pfx/drive_c/
rm windows/syswow64/dplaysvr.exe
rm windows/syswow64/dplayx.dll
rm windows/syswow64/dpnet.dll
rm windows/syswow64/dpnhpast.dll
rm windows/syswow64/dpnhupnp.dll
rm windows/syswow64/dpnsvr.exe
rm windows/syswow64/dpwsockx.dll
winetricks directplay

# add a system library override for dinput set to native, builtin.

protontricks 361670 winecfg

# At this point say a small prayer to Anoia and rattle those drawers. Cross everything you got.

# Run the game in desktop mode - not big picture - or the launcher won't be visible
# Launcher may also be only a black box - the tab key is your friend here

# MAGIC

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:22 am

I have crashed the game a few more times at that same spot but have no idea how to get windows event viewer output from wine.

There are now several dmp files in the game directory but I have no idea what to do with them either.

If somebody thinks they might be interesting in any way lmk where / how I can share them.

Thanks again for all the awesome mods!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:49 am

workingman wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:22 am
I have crashed the game a few more times at that same spot but have no idea how to get windows event viewer output from wine.

There are now several dmp files in the game directory but I have no idea what to do with them either.

If somebody thinks they might be interesting in any way lmk where / how I can share them.

Thanks again for all the awesome mods!
Those dump files would be important to have any chance of identifying what the issue could be. You can upload them to pretty much any filesharing service on the net and publish the link here.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Awesome - Thanks Forceflow.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Should be 5 there. A couple were from going to the simulator and a couple from just regular story play. All from essentially the same spot - entering the hangar on the weapons training mission.

Maybe for the interim I should make the instructions above say something like:

# Install XWA in steam using default proton version. Run the game once to make sure it's updated.
# To workaround a bug you should complete the first 2 missions - deliver the cargo - weapons training
# Then exit the game and proceed with mod installation below.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:54 pm

Hello,
In your dump files the game seems to crash in ddraw.
You can try with the latest Beta Effects DDraw. You will find it in the Downloads section.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:33 pm

New ddraw seems to have done the trick Jeremy! Thanks

I did have to add an override for ddraw in winecfg -> native, builtin

This also fixed the lobby / concourse screen being pushed to the right which wasn't a big issue, just annoying.

I have to try a mission or two now but I was able to get to the hangar in mission #2 without crashing.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:01 pm

Hi again.

Good news bad news I'm afraid.

I can get in the hangar but jumping to hyperspace now causes a crash. Not all the time though, like mission 1 I could jump to deliver the cargo but jumping home the game crashed.

Mission 2 - crashes on the first jump.

I'll put some fresh dmp files in same google drive folder I used before.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 pm

It's doing more weird things like letting me complete the mission without crashing. Then crashing on a different mission but not creating dmp files in the game dir.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might back up and start over. Somehow I ended up on the Experimental proton version which I don't remember setting but might have been something tried in desperation.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:10 am

Another fresh install and again new and different crashes.

I was able to complete mission #2 using a test pilot. Decided to start the campaign fresh with my normal pilot and now it crashes on the first mission on the first jump to hyperspace.

Not seeing dmp files in the game directory to share. I did try running with procdump enabled and it did crash but I don't see new dmp files anywhere.

Willing to try about anything you guys can suggest at this point - the game looks amazing but crashes make it basically unplayable. :kopfwand:

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:45 am

Hello,
Does it crash with the latest Effects DDraw: Beta Effects Version 2 by Blue Max's Version 2023-04-02 ?

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:43 pm

Hey Jeremy - I'll have to give it a whirl

Don't think I tried a beta Ddraw yet.

What did happen is steam realeased an updated version of proton - 8.0-1 - which on one of my systems updated itself and broke my XWA install. This just meant I had to reinstall again and following my own instructions things went very well until Ddraw - BUT - big BUT - if I don't add the wine override for Ddraw everything is peachy.

I assume I'm not getting all the fancy polish but other then the lobby/concourse being off center with a strip of my desktop visible, gameplay is brilliant and everything looks good enough to me.

When I do add the Ddraw override I can see the font changes and backgrounds look more detailed but crashing every hyperspace jump is obviously not going to fly ;)

Will give that beta a go though and post back.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 pm

On my Steam Deck - which is still on proton 7.0-6 - game crashes entering the hangar

Tried beta ddraw from 04-02 and 04-18 and both did the same.

Will try this on my desktop machine that has proton 8 but I did get some dmp files just now on the deck I will share via the same drive link I used before.

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:39 pm

Tried on my desktop and the game didn't crash - hyperspace looked hyper cool and there was some other changes - wireframe ships in the HUD for example

Sadly the gameplay was abysmally bad. For example I was able to fail the 3rd mission where you inventory cargo because the ship at stage 2 got away. Just too choppy.

Reverted ddraw override using proton 8 on my desktop the gameplay is fantastic. The briefing goes so fast Emkay gets cutoff before he finishes reading.

Let me pull together any dmp files I have managed to generate and put them in that drive folder - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing - created Deck and Desktop folders in case it mattered where they came from.

I do see quite a few are 0 byte files but I put them up anyway

workingman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by workingman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 pm

Restored the ddraw override and removed one I had for dxvk and I think I'm in business.

Just about to test this same setup on the Deck - reinstalling the upgrade packs now