XWC5.0 how do I safely quit missions?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWC5.0 how do I safely quit missions?

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:05 pm

A couple of times now, I will have satisfied the win conditions for a mission (Mission objectives state: victory), but hitting Q will give me a warning saying if I quit now it's a 2000 point penalty (and will then fail the mission). Hitting H just restarts the mission.

What am I missing?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello,
To end a mission you have to return to the hangar.

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 pm

Hey man, thanks for the help. How do i do that? If i use Q it immediately shows me the debrief screen for a failed mission after warning me of a 2000pt penalty.
If i use h it returns me to the hangar but resets all mission progress

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:22 pm

LivewareCascade wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 pm
How do i do that? If i use Q it immediately shows me the debrief screen for a failed mission after warning me of a 2000pt penalty.
If i use h it returns me to the hangar but resets all mission progress
You complete the mission as it instructs by hyper spacing back to the place you started from.
And landing on the Command Ship that you launched from.
Return to Base if it's simpler to explain
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:35 pm

Sorry, im confused. I know in xwa i use nav beacons to hyperspace to and from mission zones, and return to the carrier or base at the end of the mission. B

But i dont see how to do this in XWC 5.0. While i start every mission in the hangar, and laumch from there, it dumps me into the mission area immediately .

Once victory conditions are satisfied, it will expect you to hit Q and confirm quiting. In most missions, this proceeds as expected. You are returned to the hangar, and then you can leave to show the debrief screen for a successful mission. But in at least two missions so far (the y wing historical missions 1 and 4), doing this will immediately fail the mission. It doesn't even put you back in the hangar, it takes you to the debrief screen for a failure immediately. And it warns you its going to do this. You hit Q and it tells you if you leave now, you will incur a 2000pt penalty...even if the mission outcome is "victory".

Pressing H shows you a confirmation asking if you want to RESTART the mission, pressing space will take you back to the hangar, but resets the mission back to the start.

In the original X WING game, hitting H would be the correct thing to do, it would hyperspace you home. I guess this is different in X Wing alliance since XWA relies on nav beacons to manually hyperspace back to your home.

So how do you successfully return to the hangar in XWC?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:45 pm

LivewareCascade wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:35 pm
Sorry, im confused. I know in xwa i use nav beacons to hyperspace to and from mission zones, and return to the carrier or base at the end of the mission. B

But i dont see how to do this in XWC 5.0. While i start every mission in the hangar, and laumch from there, it dumps me into the mission area immediately .

Once victory conditions are satisfied, it will expect you to hit Q and confirm quiting. In most missions, this proceeds as expected. You are returned to the hangar, and then you can leave to show the debrief screen for a successful mission. But in at least two missions so far (the y wing historical missions 1 and 4), doing this will immediately fail the mission. It doesn't even put you back in the hangar, it takes you to the debrief screen for a failure immediately. And it warns you its going to do this. You hit Q and it tells you if you leave now, you will incur a 2000pt penalty...even if the mission outcome is "victory".

Pressing H shows you a confirmation asking if you want to RESTART the mission, pressing space will take you back to the hangar, but resets the mission back to the start.

In the original X WING game, hitting H would be the correct thing to do, it would hyperspace you home. I guess this is different in X Wing alliance since XWA relies on nav beacons to manually hyperspace back to your home.

My bad, sorry I've not tried XWC 5.0.
XWC 5.0 is not a officially supported XWAU release. It was just hosted as a courtesy. It's based on a very old and outdated XWAU version too.
H will always restart the mission. Q would be the right thing to do if the mission is complete. If it doesn't like it then maybe there is an element uncompleted.

Try checking the readme file or seeing if it has the creators contact details.
In essence XWC 5.0 misses out LOADS of improvements to XWAU by only working on version 4. It's probably very buggy too now.
So this isn't something I believe anyone is working on fixing right now.
Best you can do is check the missions using a Mission Editor from the Downloads section to look for issues.

There is hope of future X-wing conversions that will take advantage of the new features. But right now they are a long way off or not actively being worked on.

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:50 pm

Hey no problem, I appreciate you trying to help me a lot. Waylon's notes on his site are cryptic, it says in some missions you should jump out at the end, but it doesn't really explain how, since its so fundamentally different from xwa's nav buoy system.

I'll try looking at it with the mission editor as you suggest. Thanks very much, appreciate the advice

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:53 pm

LivewareCascade wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:50 pm
Hey no problem, I appreciate you trying to help me a lot. Waylon's notes on his site are cryptic, it says in some missions you should jump out at the end, but it doesn't really explain how, since its so fundamentally different from xwa's nav buoy system.

I'll try looking at it with the mission editor as you suggest. Thanks very much, appreciate the advice
That's the main issue with converting XW. No sectors.
So people who have messed with it have tried to add in new Regions and capital ships etc.
Plus then there's the balancing of the ships to XWA levels.
Makes a simple conversion a lot more work. Just look at TFTC to see how much had to go into that.

One day it will be done though. X-Wing is my fave. So it's a dream to play it with a new engine.
The recent changes to XWAU have made it even more a possibility than before. So one day...

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:55 pm

I eagerly await it!

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:48 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:45 pm
LivewareCascade wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:35 pm

My bad, sorry I've not tried XWC 5.0.
XWC 5.0 is not a officially supported XWAU release. It was just hosted as a courtesy. It's based on a very old and outdated XWAU version too.
H will always restart the mission. Q would be the right thing to do if the mission is complete. If it doesn't like it then maybe there is an element uncompleted.

Try checking the readme file or seeing if it has the creators contact details.
In essence XWC 5.0 misses out LOADS of improvements to XWAU by only working on version 4. It's probably very buggy too now.
So this isn't something I believe anyone is working on fixing right now.
Best you can do is check the missions using a Mission Editor from the Downloads section to look for issues.

There is hope of future X-wing conversions that will take advantage of the new features. But right now they are a long way off or not actively being worked on.
Hey there, just following on from this a few days later:

Specifically to you (Ace Antilles), which mission editor should I use from the downloads section, given that the base of XWC is XWAU 202 patch + Update 4? I'm guessing I should use YOGEME but I wasn't sure if I should use a specific version for XWAU update 4 based stuff.

Generically, for any others that find this thread, the victory conditions for the missions are NOT aligned to the mission objectives you are given. So the mission may say "Victory" but will fail you if you quit. In this case, the mission has been tweaked such that you have to satisfy some other conditions before you can safely quit. For example, in a strike mission, you may be asked to kill a target, which is listed in the mission objectives. But Waylon's implementation means you may ALSO have to kill any fighters in the area. In most cases this is straightforward, but can take a bit of trial and error to work out.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:40 pm

[edited, made a mistake here]

For mission editing I recommend YOGEME, as that one, unlike the older AlliEd, is still being developed and receiving updates.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:00 am

Vince T wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:40 pm
Update 4 is obsolete. As of right now what you need is
- XWAU Mega Patch 2020
- XWAU Update 5
- XWAU Update 5.5
It may also be a good idea to get the latest version of the DDraw and the latest hooks for better graphics and performance improvements, but XWC should work without them

For mission editing I recommend YOGEME, as that one, unlike the older AlliEd, is still being developed and receiving updates.
Uh hold on @Vince T as far as I know the XWC5.0 is not compatible with XWAU patch 5 (or 5.5) so running patch 4 is correct in that case.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:20 am

Is it? Ok my bad. Belay what I said. Edited the post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

LivewareCascade
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LivewareCascade » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:30 pm

Works perfectly, thank you!

Timbo8504
Recruit

Post by Timbo8504 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:42 pm

LivewareCascade wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:05 pm
A couple of times now, I will have satisfied the win conditions for a mission (Mission objectives state: victory), but hitting Q will give me a warning saying if I quit now it's a 2000 point penalty (and will then fail the mission). Hitting H just restarts the mission.

What am I missing?
I know in XWA you can complete the mission (all green objectives) but if their are still enemies in the area that are attacking you cannot Q+Space to end the mission, you have to fly back to the mothership and hit space to end the mission.